Hydor Koralia powerhead on the way

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I have one of the new Hydor Koralia powerheads on the way to me. I've read good things about them being equivalent to Seio or Tunze powerheads, so I thought I'd try one out. I'm getting the number 3 model. I was attracted by the low energy usage (my electricity bills are breathtaking, and that's without reef lighting).

The powerheads we have are all "assorted used" stuff, some of which don't work too well. We like to turn them off while feeding, and some of the Rios we have don't like that. Ecotank put the powerheads onto an X10 system, so they're easy to turn off.

Anyone else tried a Koralia?

Here's a link: Water Pumps & Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pump

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I don't see what all the hype is about. I have a pair of Seio 820s and couldn't be happier. The only thing you have to worry about is the suction cups. I recieved one of those magnetic mounts for one and plan on buying another.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I got the powerhead today, and, of course, it's already in the tank. The flow seems to be really good, and it did knock some junk off the rock. The thing is that the flow is more diffused, so you get a wider sweep of the tank. The magnetic mount works well, I guess anything is better than the suction cups. :) I'm also happy with the way it looks in the tank, it's a lot less bulky than the one we removed. As the tank back is black, it's also fairly unobtrusive.

I'm not entirely sure what the powerhead was that it replaced, I think it was some kind of MaxiJet. It's one of the ones that came with the tank. The one on the other side is an AquaClear 70, which will need replacing, most likely.

Here's a pic of it on the left side of the tank. It's behind the sump return (snakey thing) and in front of the heater (green thing) in the top left of the picture:

Last edited:

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hey Lotus,
Are you still happy with this powerhead? My reef club is doing a group buy and I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 because I need more flow in my tank. Interested to hear if it's still working well for you.
Edit: On second thought, I just looked at the dimensions and it might look a little obtrusive in my tank

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I liked mine so much, I bought another (Koralia 4). I did hear there have been a problem or two with the Koralia 3s, but ours has been fine. The temps here have been rising, but the temp did drop a little when we replaced the MJ with the Koralia. I do like the magnet mounts, I hate those stupid bracket/suction cup contraptions.