I can't belive I droped him!!!

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Hi all.

I was just doing my weekly-ish 100% water change on my betta's tank. I catch im in a little palastic cup I have and float it in my big tank while I'm working on his bowl.

Today I droped the fecking cup and Llyr ended up on the floor!!! I can't belive it!!!

He does not seem to be doing well now at all. He is back in his tank,but is sitting in the middle of one of the fake plants,head down. *SICK*

I have added a little more stress zyme then usual,is there anything more I can do?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
About all you can do is wait and see if he makes it. You might want to dim the tank lights for him.

I had a fish jump from a kitchen counter onto a tiled floor, and he made it. He looked pretty sick for a few days, but went on to live a happy, healthy life. Good luck with him!

Jul 22, 2006
Some say that it would not hurt the fish, but I disagree. Consider yourself falling several floors from a building. The size of a fish is so small, the distance from your hand to the floor is miles for the fish. They can still survive, but I think that it is still possible for them to suffer brain damage. If they smack head on (either side of the head), there is a potential for brain damage. None of us ever heard of a fish having brain damage or mental retardation. Hey, we will never know. Prayers for your Beta.

Thunder

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
My betta has jumped out of his tank and fallen on the counter and I once dropped him down the sink into the garbage disposal! They are tougher than you might think. Hope he feels better soon!

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
THUNDER said:
Some say that it would not hurt the fish, but I disagree. Consider yourself falling several floors from a building. The size of a fish is so small, the distance from your hand to the floor is miles for the fish. They can still survive, but I think that it is still possible for them to suffer brain damage. If they smack head on (either side of the head), there is a potential for brain damage. None of us ever heard of a fish having brain damage or mental retardation. Hey, we will never know. Prayers for your Beta.

Thunder
It's true the betta is falling many times it's "height"... but it's also important to remember that its mass, and therefore its inertia, is much less. It's the inertia (and resulting g-forces) that matters, not the relative height.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
omg,he might be a little injured.Did you drop it with the cup??like when his still in the cup,then you drop him together with the cup.If it is like this he wont hurt too much.Maybe his having big scare like you drop down from 10 level building onto a floor and doesnt die.All you can do is less the stress,or try to bring so attraction to im,like putting 1 male beside his tank,maybe he will flare and forget everything.....hopefully his okey.

Last edited:

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Thanks for all the replys.

Well he is still alive. He was in the cup when I droped him. He is still not 100%,he is still resting on the bottom alot but he does swim now and again so fingers crossed.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
he should be fine, just make sure that the water is PRESTINE and let him rest, feed him his fav food too! :D that usually makes Mr.Betta happy after i clean his bowl tank thingy.
Hope hes feelin better soon!