I feel horrible...

Sep 3, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Last night I did around a 50% water change and added the dechlorinating chemicals immediately. Well within a couple of hours, half of my fish were dead and I feel horrible. I want to gradually restock and replace the ones that have died, but how do I prevent this problem in the future? I normally do about a 1/3 water change every other week and I have never had any problems. I have a 29g tank. Thanks for the help!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
how often do you do water changes? Generally doing a big water change isn't going to kill your fish unless (like the others said) your temp is way off or you have really bad water that needs to be mixed ahead of time. If you're using a python the best thing to do is put the declor in the tank and then add the new water.

IF you hadnt' done a water change in a very long time then its possible that you had fish deaths because of drastic changes in pH or nitrites/nitrates etc.

Overall if you have the technique down correctly with temp and declor, then the best thing you can do is more changes, more often. So instead of a 50% once a month try a 30% 3x a month or something along those lines. Best option would be 25-35% once a week.

Oct 15, 2006
no, its not the water temp.
I have a ten gallon hex,.. I do water changes sometimes almost down to halfway of the tank. also, sometimes I forget to heat the water. The thing is, I just take a cup and scoop water in rather than pouring the whole thing in or pumping water in directly.

My bet is on treating the water AFTER it goes into the tank.