i finally got the 55

Mar 8, 2009
I finally got my 55. Now I am just contemplating fishless or fished cycle. My pet shop owner who has been in the business for over 40 years and specializes in fish said to go with fish in cycle (He is also very old school I am sure). It seems everyone here pretty much believes in the fishless. My little girl is wanting to go ahead and get some fish. Both my 10's I did the fish in and didnt know about the fishless. I really don't know much about the fishless cycle.
I am thinking about going with a German Gold Ram, maybe some Gouramis, leopard pleco, cloan loach, and maybe a columbia shark.Also maybe a few smaller schooling fish. I am new to this. How does that sound and if not good recomend something along those lines. I am going to add rocks and I want to add live plants.
Also I was wondering if a 100wat is enough for this 55?
Also here is what I am starting with. Just cut her on and she is running now.

3-10-09 156.jpg

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
brad you do have a few advantages, one is you can place one of the filters from the 55 into the 10 to get it started, or take the filter from the 10 and put it in the 55 , either way will help. I looking at your pic it does not appear you have enough light to support enough plants to do a silent cycle.

so yu may wish to simply go with option 1 ( one filter from 55 into 10 to establish it, then move it back to the 55 and slowly populate the 55)

of course you can go Fish in, Take some media from the 10g filter pop it into one of the 55's filters and be prepared to monitor your nitrogen levels daily, water changes as needed

This is IMO so YMMV, am sure others will chime in here

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
He probably wants you to do a fish in so he can sell you fish right away? that would be the obvious tactic

I don't know if the columbia shark is a good idea unless the tank is over 4 feet long, remember a bala shark is near the same adult size and most CORRECT fishkeepers will say at least a 125G tank for balas, columbia sharks are very very active fish and need that swim room.

Are you sure about doing a fish in with those list of fish? they're not exactly cheap and some are VERY sensitive to water parameters, (clown loach, ram?) Those fish would benefit being in an established tank.

For fish-in cycles, make sure you don't add a ton of fish at once, your water levels will be skewed and the fish will be shocked from the drastic changes. I'd say 2-3 fish at a time, once a month.

Also keep in mind a clown loach grows 12-18 inches and can be quite girthy, and a leopard pleco hits 20 inches itself, so choose your large fish wisely.
good luck with your future tank.

Last edited:

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
I agree with jo3o. The fish you'd like to put in there are going to be way too big for the tank and will probably not survive the cycle. If you choose a fish in, I would be very diligent to keep on top of WC and water params so the spikes don't get out of hand. Also, I agree with (forgot their name) about using establish filter media- this will help speed the cycle.

Good luck!