i found a deal for a 30 gal. but with a catch

Takumi665

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2006
i found a deal for a 30 gal. but with a catch, need help deciding

i have a friend that has an extra tank set up laying around (as he says) that includes filter,heater, gravel, some plants and some other stuff for 70 bucks. i was like " Sure ill be over tomorrow to pick everything up" but there was a catch he said. i would have to take one of his oscars. its a red oscar im not sure on how big it is but he said it wasnt the dominent one. from what i've red on them there really not good for beginners. my question is what should i do with him? keep him and try to raise him or find a new home for him(donno where though). insight would be alot of help cause i wanna keep him but i dont know if i have enough know how to do so. *ALL*

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
I would just pass on the tank if you're not sure about the fish. Not sure where you are located, but I've seen better deals for 30-gal tanks - and yes, including the extra equipment.

If you get the tank, then you could either keep the oscar or try to sell/give away the fish. The thing is, if you keep it, then you won't be able to get other fish - since oscars are aggressive and get big, so the 30-gal wouldn't have enough room for adding more fish. It sounds like a great deal for someone that wants an oscar, but if you wanted other fish then it's not a good match.

Just my 2-cents. :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
unfortunately I agree. Have you checked out www.craigslist.com for your area? There are usually some great tank deals to be found out there.

If you really wanted the tank though, I'd check with a couple of local stores to see if one would take the oscar from you...maybe in trade for some more appropriate fish for the tank size? Chain stores probably wouldn't...but if you know of any locally owned smaller stores a lot of times they will work with you.

Takumi665 said:
i have a friend that has an extra tank set up laying around (as he says) that includes filter,heater, gravel, some plants and some other stuff for 70 bucks. i was like " Sure ill be over tomorrow to pick everything up" but there was a catch he said. i would have to take one of his oscars. its a red oscar im not sure on how big it is but he said it wasnt the dominent one. from what i've red on them there really not good for beginners. my question is what should i do with him? keep him and try to raise him or find a new home for him(donno where though). insight would be alot of help cause i wanna keep him but i dont know if i have enough know how to do so. *ALL*
Odd advice from everyone...

er, anyways...Get the tank. That's a decent enough price for a tank with all the fixin's. As or the Oscar, take it to your LFS for credit (if they'll give you credit). I don't know what the laws are like where you are, but here in Ontario my LFS can not refuse ANY fish.

Takumi665

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2006
thnx for the advice ill se if a local fish shop will take him for trade for others. i didnt think about that. thnx everyone tell you what happens hen it happens