I gallon tanks for bettas

Sinsarity

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
I currently have my betta in my 10 gal. with my other fish, but I kind of want to move him into his own tank with an otto ar two b/c he isn't as active as he was when I first got him. (he isn't being attacked or doing any attacking) Would a 1 gal be too small? I ask this because I cannot afford the $30 bucks for the 2.5 package deal (tank, filter,...) and the 1 gal. package deal is only $10. Is that too small?
Another reason I want to move him is that I have heard they can snap at any moment and become very aggressive. Also, I would like for him to be on my desk so I have somthing to look at (that is pretty) while I am doing my long hours of homework. (I'm starting college :eek:) Thanks!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
once you add gravel/plants to the 1 gallon it is an OK size for a betta...but I don't think I would put anything else in with it. The hardest part is cleaning IMO

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Squidney101 - I have seen a betta try to kill other fish outright! Several other owners on this forum have also experience issues with bettas attacking other fish species.

Sin, I would not put an otto with a betta in anything less than a 5 gallon. Ottos are very sensitive to ammonia (bettas are more tolerant), and do beter in pairs or more.

Sinsarity

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
Ohh, no, I wasn't going to put the male with the females! :)
I am going to leave him with the other fish I already have since he still is so mellow. (I will have a tank set up on the side just in case he becomes aggressive, though) Thanks, I was thinking of the frogs as well. Are they easy or hard keepers? Thanks again!