I got a new cup puppy!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I was at Wal-Mart this morning getting dog food so I stopped to check out the bettas. One of them caught my eye because he was a beautiful bright red male with some green irridescent flecks. As I was standing there looking at him, he started building a bubble nest. He was in a tiny little cup that was only half-full of dirty water, and he was building a bubble nest! So I couldn't resist :) I'll post pics when he settles in.

For now, I just got him a small (3/4-1 gallon) vase, and added some clear stones to the bottom. I plan on getting a bigger tank for him but haven't found one that I like. He's still got ten times more swimming room than he did in that little cup though.

So............................I filled up the vase, added NovAqua and a couple crystals of aquarium salt. He's got a tiny little hole in his back fin, but other than that he is perfectly healthy. In fact he's munching on betta bio-gold right now. I've got melafix, pimafix and stress zyme, would any of these help with the hole in his fin? Also, I've never kept a betta in a vase before, how often should I change his water?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Congrats on the new betta!

If it's just a pinhole in his fin, I wouldn't bother adding anything to the water. It will get better with good food and good water.

I believe with a vase you should do 100% water changes at least once a week, possibly twice a week.

A nice little tank with a real filter (not the airstone UGF) and a heater will keep him really happy :)

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Thanks Lotus :) That's what I plan on getting him, but Wal-Mart only had the tanks with the ugfs and the closest lfs is about 45 minutes away. But I figured he'd be ok in the vase until I can get him something bigger.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yeah, he'll be fine for a while in a vase, as long as the temps aren't getting too low at night.

I know Wal-Mart doesn't usually have a great selection of tanks that are what's good for fish. Hopefully the LFS will have a nice home for him.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Our last one was Bob the betta :)

I don't need to name him anymore though because he passed away :( I accidentally dumped too much food in his bowl one night, and I didn't notice it until the next morning when he was floating :( The rotting food must have killed him :mad: