I got brain spots?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
My red open brain has started to...excrete? these white looking balls, that almost resemble cotton batton or eggs. It's only been doing this for approximately 1-2 days, and the "eggs" seem to come from it's mouth.

Do you think it's possible that the coral is spawning? or is something terribly wrong?

I'm not particularly worried, although it is slightly puzzling.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Yep those infos are quite contradictory..i know i checked...the only search that could be similar of some sort would be :

I have a brain coral (Trachyphyllia) and over the last few days I have noticed a white cotton like substance on it, a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser. It seems to be getting larger. The interesting thing is that when the lights come on it seems to suck into the brain coral and vanishes. Could there be a bite in the coral caused by my yellow tang taking a nip at it once in awhile or is this some sort of sponge? Thank you so much for your help!
<Well, for whatever reason, these corals seem to be especially "tasty" to many fishes. I suspect that, as you surmised, this may be some localized trauma to the coral as a result of someone "munching". The abscess or traumatized area probably seems to "retract" into the animal when the tissue expands in response to "lights up"...Keep a close eye on the animal, and consider removing it if it is continuously harassed by the tang, or declines in health...Good luck! Regards, Scott F>

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I remember now that my scolymia has been attacked by my bubble once, and the toxins litteraly pierced the flesh of my scolymia. The wound was covered with a white stringy stuff that came from inside the coral. I gently used a turkey baster to move the white stuff to see better..i increased the water flow and added iodide. In 2 days he fully recovered..now the scolymia has no "scars" or trace and can fully expand to a 9" diameter. I guess what i'm saying is there's hope. Do you have other LPS nearby or is this one sharing the same flow as a more agressive coral ?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I do have a galaxy that was kinda close (about 5 inches)...which is a little too close for a coral like the galaxy, so i've moved him back into the sand to make sure it had nothing to do with them fighting. It's kind of a strange thing with this brain coral. It's inflating nicely, and the color is excellent...but on the other hand, it's still doing this thing with the white stuff.

Maybe moving it away from the galaxy will help. I added some combi-san with iodine, so maybe that will help as well. I guess i'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks a lot for all the information.