I Got It!!!!!!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I just bought a moon light for my sw tank. It is awesome; however, it did cost me $150!!! It comes with (right from the box) One True Actinic 03 Blue Compact fluorescent lamp; One 10,000K Daylight compact fluorescent lamp; and Two Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps. And all 3 have different switches. It also has its own cooling fans. I am so excited!!!! The moon lights are really neat! It is made by Coralife and is called Lunar Aqualight. Its Awesome!!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well it's not just a moonlight then, so it doesn't seem so pricey. As I'm also shopping at the moment I just got a Besslein MH pendant for somwhat less than that so nah!

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
same thing wayne said, $150 wouldve been a lot for just moonlighting, but you got the whole lighting system.

Im cheap, so with the holidays coming up, Im looking to find a string of blue xmas lights to use as moonlighting.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
I was just up at the LFS yesterday (getting a lid and light for a 10) and he had just gotten in some of the lights you are talking about...they are awesome looking. They are very compact and light Im sure compared to some of the DIY or even store bought ones used to be. and yes you DID get all the lights you need for the one tank. Sure you could get another one for your freshwater tank, that would be awesome! Congratts!

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
I have been wanting moonlighting ever since we decided to get into fish. There is a store on Ebay that sells all kinds of these things in all kinds of different sizes.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, basically, plants and coral require different light spectrums to thrive. plants need something in the kind of warm yellow area (5,700k -> 8,000k) whereas corals use a cooler blue spectrum (10,000k -> 20,000k). Your light is set up with a 10,000k and an Actinic which is great for a SW reef but not ideal for plants.

I am a bit confused about this light, btw, because I did not know coralife made a 48" fixture with only one daylight PC bulb...beyond that, on a 75g tank that single PC bulb (even if it is a 96w) is going to make it awfully tough to keep anything photosynthetic alive

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
my tank hasnt actually moved to the 75 yet. Im in the process. I am just going to buy another of the same lights and put the 2 of them on the 75. I was just curious about putting one on the 30G. Thanks.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
they aren't necessarily supposed to do anything...some people believe they contribute to coral health by simulating moonlight but more than anything i think people just like to be able to see what comes out in their tanks at night

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Just go to the hardware store and pick up a strip of the blue LEDs...a lot of people do that...I guess they are suppose to help some corals expand at night.