I have 2 Barbs left.

Smark

Small Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Mn.
My tank will sustain Tetras Cories and Butterfly Pleco's But my Barbs will not survive in my 20 gallon tank.
Here are my readings. My PH level is over 8 but my local fish store has the same PH level as mine. I was told to just leave it where it is at.
Nitrite is at 0 PPM
Nitrate is at 0 PPM
Ammonia is at 0

I just did a complete tank change because I am getting desperate. I am still using the same rocks and plants with out using any bleach or cleanser.
I tried to atach a picture of my last Barb. I am sad.

Smark

Small Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Mn.
My last albino Barb just swims into the glass and the rocks. This disease must only affect Barbs because the other fish are OK and happy. I am down to 2 Barbs but I think the albino will not last the night.

Smark

Small Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Mn.
Will a bad tank heater affect barbs in this manner? Are barbs more sesative to Temp than Tetra? Could this be my problem?:confused:

Ariaanna

Small Fish
May 17, 2006
In my experience, if you have too few barbs, they'll kill each other trying to establish a pecking oder because the aggression is too concentrated. If you keep 6+ barbs they school much tighter and establish a pecking order much more readily.

I don't think you'll be able to keep 6+ tiger barbs in a 20 gallon tank, though, as they're very active swimmers and grow to be about 3 inches long.

I hope this helped!