I have a few questions...

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
Ok. So like the subject says...I have a few questions.

Are filters a good thing or a bad thing because I've been hearing that I should take out the filter media in the one i've got and just have it there for circulation?

And whats a good way to get rid of hair algae? Its growing all over my live rock and making my little feather duster worm all droopy (at least I'm assuming thats why) All the levels in the tank are right where they should be.

And is it good to have a powerhead that angles downward and rotates from side to side? (the circulation is good in only one spot in my tank and you can see RIGHT where it is since it doesn't have as much hair as the rest of the tank's got right now) The one I've got in there now basicly hits the other side of the tank, so I'm not sure if its really benefitting it that much

Thanks for the answers.
(And the new clowns are doing a LOT better than the last pair I had)

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
WhaleGeekLWU said:
Are filters a good thing or a bad thing because I've been hearing that I should take out the filter media in the one i've got and just have it there for circulation?
media can be a breeding ground for nitrite fixing bacteria, which will produce TONS of nitrate. you want your live rock to do this job as it is more stable and, once cycled prorperly, will produce a more stable tank cycle.

WhaleGeekLWU said:
And whats a good way to get rid of hair algae? Its growing all over my live rock and making my little feather duster worm all droopy (at least I'm assuming thats why) All the levels in the tank are right where they should be.
it always a good idea to have clean up crew if you have live rock (snails and hermit crabs). see lordroad's ticky in the nano section for details. these little guys will mow down you algae problem. as for the droopy duster, keep in mind that you are probably only looking at basic water conditions. your duster may require other nutrients, more light, less phospates, etc. some dusters thrive in high light conditions and require calcium and other minerals, of which you may be low. best to read up on the species of duster you have.

WhaleGeekLWU said:
And is it good to have a powerhead that angles downward and rotates from side to side? (the circulation is good in only one spot in my tank and you can see RIGHT where it is since it doesn't have as much hair as the rest of the tank's got right now) The one I've got in there now basicly hits the other side of the tank, so I'm not sure if its really benefitting it that much
I use the powersweeps in my 20g and am very happy with them. its important not to have dead spots, the current is vital to the function of the live rock as a filter. arrange your 3 filters until there are no dead spots.

good luck!