I have a few questions...

Jul 22, 2007
I have had my 10 gallon tank for almost a year now. I was using just a small 10 gallon filter for the first 8 months. I want to buy a 30 gallon tank (trying to find a deal for a used one), so I bought a penguin 200 bio-wheel power filter for a 50 gallon tank. I have had 6 zebra danios for about 8 months now and they seem to be doing very well. Every other fish I have tried to add over the this time period has died within 2 or 3 weeks. I've gone through 4 swordtails, a couple angel fish, 6 neon tetra's(these actually lasted a couple months but I woke up one day and they all disappeared completely... I'm assuming the danios ate them), and a few other's I can't remember off the top of my head. My tank conditions weren't very good at first so I think most of the deaths were due to overfeeding which I have cut back on dramatically. It seems much cleaner now so I'm wondering what types of fish will go good with my danio's... Also I'm kind of curious to whether or not I can put more fish in the tank because I'm using a 50 gallon filter instead of a 10 gallon one. I was told 1 inch of fish per gallon and I would say the biggest danio is almost an inch and a half, and the rest of them are around an inch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sorry to hear about your fish losses. I think you're right, it sounds like water conditions weren't so hot. How often do you do water changes? Do you have any test kits? I try to do at least a 35% change or so every week or two (depends on the tank and how heavily stocked it is)

No, just because you have a bigger filter on the tank doesn't mean that there is more space, unfortunately.

I would leave the zebra danios in the tank by themselves until you have a new tank. Usually the best idea is to plan what you're going to put in a tank by how big the fish get when they are adults. So for danios usually just say 2 inches, they don't get too big. But they are kind of rough and rambunctious...so they do best with other fish that have personalities like them...such as tiger barbs.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Usually it's recommended that danios should be in larger tanks then 10g since they are very active fish that like to zip around. Your tank is pretty much fully stocked with what you have already. I wouldn't add anything else until you get a bigger tank.

Jul 22, 2007
thanks for the responses

Thanks for the info. I've been doing changes about once a month since I put the bigger filter on. I might just go out and buy a bigger tank since the hunt for a used one has been unsuccessful so far. I had a feeling the filter size wouldn't allow me to put more fish in, but it has definitely helped keep the tank a lot cleaner. It use to smell kind of funky, but now it smells like clean water. Also I switched from using a concentrated flake food to regular flakes and blood worms once in a while. As for feeding I just give them a pinch every day when I turn the light on. Does that sound about right for feeding the 6 danios? They are crazy, I think they would eat a whole bottle if I fed it to them, but they seem to be growing nicely and swimming quickly on what I have been giving them. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted when I pick up a bigger tank so I can get some more fish ideas.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Uh oh, I see MTS coming on (multiple tank syndrome)! A bigger tank is always a good idea. I love my 29g, it's a great size. A 20g really isn't that much bigger. A pinch should be enough for the danios, just make sure they are eating all of it within 5 mins and you're good.