I have a mini bow 2.5 with betta

jennyb

New Fish
Nov 11, 2010
the filter it came with leaves much to be desired, I want to replace it I found a couple choices

Rapids Mini Canister Filter
Innovative Nano Canister Filter

or

Red Sea Nano HOB

I have used the hob kind, like an aqua clear but, i know nothing about the canister kind. Keeping in mind it is for a 2.5 small aquarium, which is better?

Please help
Jennyb

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I think the REd Sea would be fine. I love canister filters for larger tanks because they have more options for media and can hold a lot more media. However, on a tiny tank like a 2.5gal, I think a HOB filter is just fine as you don't need to have the amount of media you do in large tanks.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I think any of them would be fine, honestly. I just said the Red Sea because it would probably look the best of the three. The canisters on the other two are about as big as your tank and would be overkill. Also, it's really hard to adjust the output on canister filters, so if the current is too strong for your betta, he'll become stressed and will hide to get away from the current. There aren't too many places to hide in a 2.5gal tank, TBH. The HOB would be easier to modify if you needed to buffer the output.

jennyb

New Fish
Nov 11, 2010
Thank you so very, very much, i've never used a forum before and i search high and low on the internet for info and in a matter of minutes you have helped me greatly, thank you so very much.

jennyb

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
What about a sponge filter? I was just in the process of gathering DIY on them and I also got a very interesting reply for OC (Orange Cones). I have the 2.5 mini bow also and I am debating doing that. The DIY for small tanks sounded interesting.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
canister does add to water volume so thats a plus. but I would say the stock filter is just fine, and the sponge filter or sponge bubbler is great too :) You can make a good DIY with that idea.
Idk if we have the same model minibow 2.5gal, but I have kept bettas in mine well. You must note though that all space in the hood must be closed off. even the narrowest opening invites your betta to go carpet surfing. I have lost my prized breeding male in that way, and I dont want the same happening to your fish. so cover up those holes in the hood :)