I have a nasty fish. Need help

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
Hey guys I have a tank that has been up and running for a month to 6 weeks. These are my fish:

oscar
2 parrots
Geo Jupari
Golden sevrum (sp?)

They are all about 2 inches and all in good health. The tank is a 120.

My golden Sevrum is such a bully that the other fish can not even come out from behind the plants. He is ruining the community in the tank.

I currently have him out of the tank in a quarantine tank. Things in the big tank are much better without him.

I'd rather not get rid of him because he was fairly expensive and I like the way he looks. Is there anything I can do to change this fish's dominant personality.

At the pet store he was in the same tank as the oscar so I assumed he would be fine for my tank. But now in my tank he beats up the oscar along with everyone else.

If I get more fish to crowd the tank up a bit more, could this help? My tank is pretty empty right now

I once had a fish that jumped out of a tank and flopped around the floor for a few moments....when I got him back in the tank his personality was very different. So i know fish can be changed lol

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I had six Bluegills in a long 40 gallon tank and one fish took over half the tank. If any fish strayed over to the other side the bully chased it around viciously. I moved it to a 20 gallon tank for a couple of months or so.

I then set up a 100 and I put the bully in with three of the largest Bluegills. It goes where it wants but it's not as much of a bully anymore. May or may not have anything to do with your situation, just my experience.

Severums, usually aren't that aggressive...but hey all fish are different. I think to solve your problem you should get another gold severum about yours severum's size. The Oscar is a usually peaceful fish but will eat feeder fish, I would think that a 120 gallon aquarium would work for keeping the peace issues resolved. I think as you mentioned getting more fish may help. I would get something like Red Devils, or Snooks. A Snook could keep a Severum in it's place without ruining the tank.

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
I was thinking about getting a red devil because I had one in the past and liked him a lot. He had a lot of personality. Only problem with that is that fish also beat everybody up in my tank....I think it may have even killed my oscar.....the devil was fine for 5 months then all of a sudden one day he just became vicous and put like 15 bullet hole looking wounds all over the oscar.

I eventually took him out and kept him in a 10 gallon in my kitchen for a few years.

The severum does not seem to be doing any physical damage to the other fish at least....its basically just bullying.

Thanks for the replies guys