i have a new 170 gallon tank coming

well i have a new 170 gallon tank but i dont want to start it till i read alot about saltwater fish well i dont know how many fish i could fit in that tank can anyone tell me the amopunt of fish i could put in my tank i plan to make it a non reef tank i want it to be something like fresh water a community tank?

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
if you want anemones (close enough) your straying into reef invertebrates. if you want fish only than i would go with rocks and fish that dont go well with the reefs.

But if you want invertebrates than you need reef compatable fish mainly clowns for those anemones.

Since your taste in fish are not reef compatible, than just stick with rock and the fish that you named.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
First things first......
All anemones require high light levels. Not your ordinary fluorescent lights either....power compacts (PC), very high output (VHO) or metal halides (MH). These lights are gonna cost you some serious money. For either of the tanks you mention, I would recommend the MH as that will be the most bang for the buck (because your tanks are deep and MH can reach all the way to the bottom). Check around on the net and see the prices of this stuff. If you really want to keep anemones, I would suggest that you don't skimp on the lighting. Also you should know that anemones are not for the beginner or the newly set up tank. Get some experience with keeping saltwater and let your tank mature for at least 6 months before you get one. Do your research on what the particular kind of anemone you want requires. That will give you the best chance of the animal surviving.
What fish you get depends on what you want to keep. For example, if you decide you really want the anemone, then you have to plan the tank around it. The starfish is iffy depends on what species but some like the chocolate chip would not work as it would eat the anemone, the only lionfish that might work would be one of the dwarf species as they would most likely NOT eat a larger clownfish, the clownfish species depends on what type of anemone you get as usually only certain clowns will host with certain anemones.......you get the idea!
The very best advice I can give you is to pick your key species....the one fish or invert that you feel you must have then plan the tank around it.
Do not go with an undergravel, they collect too much detrius and will cause your tank to have high nitrate levels. A better solution is to have a deep sand bed (DSB). This should be at least 3" or better (not over 5"), of a sugar size grain. Now you can get this sand from your LFS or you can get Southdown playsand from Home Depot. If the HD in your area doesn't carry it, I have found that Lowe's carries another playsand called Premium that is working well for me.
No matter what you decide to keep, you will want to have some live rock (LR) in your tank as that will help to provide shelter for the fish, grazing for your fish and/or inverts, plus it will provide a good place for the bacterial colony to grow.
Don't forget powerheads for plenty of water movement. Oh yeah, the "general" rule of thumb for stocking levels in a marine tank is 1" of fish for every 5 gallons. This is only a guide line, some fish are larger bodied than others, some require more swimming room, some are more aggressive and need more space.....
Well, I've rambled on long enough!:D