I have eggs :D

Squeeks

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Visit site
I have managed to get my male to breed with a female at my very fisrt try of mating them.
I think he is a partal crowntail and a nice deep red in colour!
So I have a few questions...
1) how long till the eggs hatch..3-4days?
2) and when should I remove the male from the fry?
any other advice would be helpfull from more experinced breeders.
cheers
Squeeks xx

leck85

Large Fish
Jan 12, 2005
hockeytown
www.vancitybettas.cjb.net
i would remove the male once u see any of the fry free swimming.. even if its only 1 or 2 i would still remove him.. i made the mistake of leaving him in over night and he ate most of the babies...

they should hatch in 48 hours probably..

hope you got some stuff to feed the babies!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
K, leave the male in till the fry a free-swimming around (about 2 days after hatching) from left to right ... not up and down. The male typically will do a good job keeping them in the nest and will generally not eat them. Some do, some don't.

Get a baby brine shrip (BBS) factory started now. Baby fry betta's can eat BBS fairly easily. Don't overfeed them, its really, really easy to do so.

Start looking around for the 60+ jars your going to need if you plan on raising them all. You will also need about a 30 gallon tank to grow-them out till about 3 months, then it's time to jar them.

The following link is my first betta fry-raising story... it might prove useful:
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11888

Welcome to the Club!

leck85

Large Fish
Jan 12, 2005
hockeytown
www.vancitybettas.cjb.net
yea you got to leave the male in there for a day or 2 after they hatch as they still cant swim really... the male will collect the fry from the bottom of the tank and spit them back up into the nest... once you see some fry swimming around the tank and leaving the nest, THEN you can take out daddy

Squeeks

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Visit site
Thanks Iggy for your link on your experince, It looks like I will have my work cut out. At least I have 3 months to create space for all the Jars that I will be collecting. (Just hope my flatmate and boyfriend don't mine:S) I will try and get some heater designed for reptile tanks to place the jars on to keep them warm and ask my mum very nicely if she will set up her spare tank for the females! (I can believe at 25 years old I having to ask for her help!) At least the pet shop round the corner (who I have known for years) is willing to take them of my hands when they grow up in exchange for food!
My other adult female is looking good to mate very soon but I think I wait and see how I get on with this first batch before I decide to breed her!
Squeeks xx

Squeeks

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Visit site
I have babies.....and lots too......I reckon I have about 150 but I'm crap at counting so I guessed. Daddy is looking after them well. Was a bit worried as I noticed this morning that I had two babies and thought daddy had eaten the rest and I had to go to work...then after work I spotted loads of them :D
wish me luck and I will try to keep you updated!
squeeks xx

Squeeks

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Visit site
the babies are free swimming now and I can hardly see them from all the plants in the tank so I have no clue at all on how many I've got. Thankfully there is plenty of infusria for them and I'm giving then liduid fed that has tiny food partical in it as well as stimulating more infusia!
Squeeks xx

Squeeks

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Visit site
The father is in excellent condition and he knows this.
I think I should name him.....Prince sounds fitting as he makes wonderfull displays to the female. He is of a deep red colour like dark blood with touches of purple in certain lighting. He looks like there is also a touch of crown tail in him too :D.
I think the female is related as they came from the supply and I bought them at the same time. She is also very dark red with tints of blue in her tail fin. She was very willing with the male and didn't get nipped either. The only nips she got was with my other female who she was with before I mated her (again I would say related). She has also recovered very quickly due healthy diet of blood worms, daphnia, brime shrimp and flakes
Orinally I wanted to get a blue male with my red females but none of the pet shops had any and I just fell for him. He was a wee bit thin to start with but not anymore with a good diet of flake food and baby white cloud mountain minnows.
I have just put my other female with the male as she is bursting with eggs, I think I will get a bigger spawn from her and Prince has had enough time to build up in sperm to do so.
The babies are doing fine swimming around eating things that they see as edible and the liquid fed seems to be working. About to get some brime shrimp on the go as they will need to come off the liquid feed in a couple of days.
Squeeks xx

Squeeks

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Visit site
well I just had my second lot of eggs hatch and the other babies are on brime shrimp. I think the shrimp is alot better than the liquid fed for anyone that wants to know. It's funny to see them with orange bellies.
Squeeks xx

Last edited:

Squeeks

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Visit site
yup.
I'm getting a lot of help from my friends and family to seperate them out when the are older. The older fry are sperate from the new fry as I know the will eat each other. I'm am also in the process of collecting lots of jars.
Squeeks xx