I have fry!

Mar 11, 2003
These are the microscopic things I have been waiting for! I can't estimate how many I have, but I bet Abe is counting how many times he swims down to catch the little guys, lol. I am so excited about them!

Alexa

Mar 11, 2003
I will try to get pictures, but the nest is super hard to get a pic of because it reflects the flash soooo much and its hard to focus. However, I DO have videos of them spawning ;). I don't know how to put them on a link though, so if anyone can help me, you will be able to see them.

Mar 11, 2003
Of all times, my brand new heater decided to burn out! I had to take it out (everytime I touched the water it kept shocking me, but didn't shcok the fry) and put in a junior heater (for 2-5 gallons) until I can go to the store tomorrow. I finally get fry and now they might die! I have done everything I can do to keep that tank warm, except get a new heater. But its 1:30 am and my mom said to monitor it until tomorrow morning. *sniff*. My fry look fine as of now and it went from 80*F-76*F within 3 hours.

Alexa

Mar 11, 2003
All is okay. The heaters from my other tanks were not submersible, and I would be in for major shock treatment if I tried that one, lol. A lot of the fry made it, or so I assume, since there are no dead ones on the bottom of the tank.

Alexa

Mar 11, 2003
Looks like I spoke too soon. You all know that the heater in my spawning tank burnt out (the water evaporated and left the tip sticking out of the water) and I lost some fry because it was 1 am and the temperature dropped to 72*f. Early in the morning I was hopeful because I saw a lot of little guys swimming around and just bought a new heater. All was going well until the heater kept going ^^^. Despite my attempts to turn it all the way down, with out shutting it off, the temperature rose while I was at school to the 90s! I checked the tank a million times and none of the little guys are alive. NONE!

I did set it up again, this time with a few more inches of water. Hopefully this will help regulate the temp better. I am going to spawn Abe and Stella in a few days, probably over the weekend. I will let you all know what happens.

Alexa

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
I thought betta's didn't like a heater in their tank?

Sorry to hear about your babies. How long did it take to get fry after the two betta's mated? I'd love to see the video. Can you email it to me or msn it to me? pm me if you want

angie

Mar 11, 2003
Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Soo sorry about your bad news :( Dam'd tank heaters ... grrrr.
Thanks for posting the details, this will help others like me who will be breeding pay more attention to the heater setup and settings.

I wonder it is worth setting up a space heater on a thermostat (baseboard electric heater) to keep the room temp up high enought to keep the fry tank above 78F?

It seems more people have trouble with tank heaters OVER heating than under heating before they die???