i have had my marble molly for about a month now and suddenly babies?

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
i have a 15 gallon tank with my molly 2 male silver dollars a silver-tipped shark and a regular goldfish that is very frisky. it always nibbles on the anal fin of my fish. but today when i got home from school i found 3 babies and they all had the mouth of a molly. i dont know how many there were but after seperating the 3 survivors only one is still alive now. but is it possible that my goldfish got my molly pregnent or could it have been pregnent when i bought it a month ago?

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Goldfish can grow extremely large, and will eventually outgrow your tiny tank. And I don't think it's possible for a goldfish to get a molly pregnant. The majority of mollies purchased from pet stores are already pregnant, so I'm nearly positive that is the case. What are you using to separate the baby fish? Is it in the tank with a divider or is it in a breeder's box or is it in a separate tank?

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
ya i know my tank is over stocked but in january im getting a 27 gallon tank and the goldfish is just one i won at a fair. but the baby fish is set in a fish bowl that i rigged with an air tube and bubble stone and i used water from the tank he was born in. he seems very happy. he is always swimming around and is eating fish flake but is there anything i should feed him specially

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
59fifty,

Feed your baby fish powdered flake food 5 to 7 times a day. (Crush up regular flake food to make it powdered.) If have a baby betta fish, it is too small to eat powdered food so it needs baby brine shrimp. I'm guessing your baby fish isn't a baby betta, since it's been eating flake food. You could feed the baby fish baby brine shrimp if you'd like, but this is not absolutely necessary. Keep it apart from the other fish until it at least doubles in length. I do not suggest putting it back in the tank for a long time, considering I don't know how big your goldfish is and it could easily eat the baby fish.

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
thank you for all of the advice i just got done with "powdering" his food and when i get my 36 gallon tank i will keep himmy pocastommas? (sucker fish) and give away my others so do you think my LFS would take my fish for no charge or refund???

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
well i just want to start over and get things right this time and i am attatched to my fish so i was thinking of giving them to a friend who has a 90 galon tank so i could see them. any time but a would have to return some of my fish for sure and i could do that tomorrow if i wanted. and i am going to get my new tank before christmas

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I'm a bit confused, you said you were getting a 27 gallon but this has changed to 36 gallon? Which one is it?

I think what you mean is a plecostomus. The one you mentioned is likely to be Hypostomus plecostomus and will eventually grow far too large for a 36 gallon. Did you know they can get to over 2 feet in length?

I see many things wrong with your current set-up, and I'm not having a go (so I hope it doesn't sound like it) but I think you need to know some facts about your fish.

Silver dollars grow to be around 6inches across. They'll do fine in a 36 gallon but a 15 gallon is way to small.

Silver-tipped sharks, also known as bala sharks, are a similar situation but grow to be up to 16inches long. Again, too big for 15 gallons or even 36 gallons.

Goldfish grow up to a foot long, and it's a bad idea to mix tropicals (all your other fish) with coldwater fish (your goldfish) for a long period of time.

My advice is this: if you want to start over, research your fish thoroughly before you buy them, I'm the same as any other person, when you go to buy one fish it turns into buying 5 fish and often we make bad choices in what we buy. I would seriously consider puttin gthe silver dollars and silver-tipped shark in your friends 90gallon where there'll be much happier.

Please read up on cycling a tank properly. You may already know this but it's always worth covering. Cycling isn't simply letting the tank run empty for a couple of weeks, it's the gradual build-up of colonies of beneficial bacteria in your filter and on rocks and stones and aquarium decorations. What this bacteria does is convert the harmful substances in fishes waste (ammonia) into less harmful substances and then prevents many problems when you come to add fish.

Also, a good rule of thumb for people new to fishkeeping is "one inch of fully-grown fish per gallon", so for example neon tetras grow to an inch long, you can safely house 15 in a 15 gallon and then it'd be fully stocked. This only applies to small, slim-bodied fish (the majority of fish for sale in the hobby), and not fish like goldfish. Goldfish are generally reccommended for 20 gallons for a single fish, adding 10 gallons for each additional fish.

If you want a pleco or "sucker fish", the one's I'd go for are the ones that stay small. Look out for Bristlenose Plecos, Rubberlip Plecos and Bulldog Plecos, which all stay around 6 inches long.

I hope I haven't over-loaded you with information and I hope this all helps, but as I've said to others on here it's an expensive hobby at the best of times and sometimes when we make bad decisions or bad judgement we can be literally flushing money down the toilet!

Please keep us updated on your decisions.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Agreed littletank, I've started to get quite annoyed with one of my LFS recently. Standards have dropped massively and it's now become more about the sale than the health and well-being of the fish, and having lost 3 butterfly koi within 2 weeks of putting them in a healthy pond I've decided to take my business elsewhere.

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
i have decided to go with the 36 gallon tank. i have a small pond in my back yard and my dad (he is great with fish and has had them since he was a little boy) said he would do okay in it because it only gets a thin to no layer of ice on it in the winter. my cousin has a restaraunt with freshwater tanks and has an empty 75 gallon tank. and i was thinking of stocking my new tank with a small school of black neon tetras (and i was wondering if regular neons would school with them???) and a small school of harlequin rasbora. and a flame red gourami. what do any of you think of this

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Black neons and regular neons should shoal together and look really nice, the harlequins I reckon would shoal with them aswell because of similar size/shapes. Honestly that sounds like a nice set-up, however I'd also be tempted to add a bottom feeder, maybe a few corydoras cats?

But before you set this up, are you sure you want to start from scratch? And also make sure you read up on fishless cycling and do this properly, making it safe for you fish beforehand will help in the future. Here are a few MUSTS for setting up and cycling a tank:

An API freshwater master test kit to measure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.
A bottle of ADDITIVE FREE (can't stress this enough) ammonia.
A good filter.
PATIENCE.

When cycling your new tank, you may want to keep your 15 gallon running for a bit, and put some of that filter media in your new filter to help "seed" the tank with good bacteria. It will speed the whole process up. Either that, or if you plan on using the same filter, keep the 15 running until you set up the other, and having dechlorinated the water in your new tank simply put the filter in the 36.

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
sounds great i already have one albino cory cat now how many more??? and WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE DWARF GOURAMI I REALLY LOVE THESE FISH AND NEED TO KNOW IF THEY COULD THRIVE WITH THIS SETTUP!!!!!!! THANKYOU!!!!!!!

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Agreed littletank, I've started to get quite annoyed with one of my LFS recently. Standards have dropped massively and it's now become more about the sale than the health and well-being of the fish, and having lost 3 butterfly koi within 2 weeks of putting them in a healthy pond I've decided to take my business elsewhere.
Exactly. My LFS tried to sell us more fish than our tank could handle, and even though we told them we had a new set-up, they didn't even warn us about the dangers of cycling with fish. I was a silly newbie, then. Now I know better.

Plus, my mom's friend went to the LFS and they tried to sell her a water dragon for her community tank of livebearers. Luckily, she found out water dragons eat livebearers for snacks before she added it to her community tank. I don't trust any stores when dealing with fish now.

Kirst

New Fish
Aug 24, 2009
Victoria in Australia
so true!! before i came on to this site i didnt even know about cycling!! i brought a brandnew in the box 60L tank with new filter, they tried to sell me fish in the same transaction! i just said sure but u know ill be back in a few days claiming on my health guantee!!!! They just looked at me, i owe my fish sucess to all you guys and gals in here or my babies would have died!! p.s one of my platies that was sold to me for my coldwater tank died :( was a sad day because it was a week too late to yell at the LFS...RIP...
So thank you all for educating me!! my fish are so so thankful :)

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
sorry about that misterking ist just i am using 2 other sources of info and they all say diff. things haha. and also to misterking should i buy 4 other kinds of corys (if so any suggestions???) and if not i will only get albino ones

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
You can mix corydoras types if you like, I reckon they'd still shoal together but I'd still get a couple more albinos just to make sure.

Others you could try would be peppered corys, leopard corys (though there are quite a few types commonly found for sale), bronze corys, panda corys, the list goes on and on.