I love all you guys...and a new question

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
I'm sure you are all sick of me asking questions because I'm a dumb blonde but i appreciate it...i really do. I was looking to finally get a power head for my tank sop i can get rid of my two crappy HOB filters that surprizingly provided alot fo circulation i think the powerhead said it did 170 gallons an hour..is that too much too little or just right?

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I run a 170 on my ten so it definitely won't be too much. And mine is ghetto, bought at wal mart. after a few initial problems, it works fine now.

I'd keep one of your HOBS and run the powerhead, or get a second, stronger powerhead.

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
hmmm thanks... i was thinking of keeping the smaller hob on and putting the big in my 5.5 gallon and make it like a puffer tank of chiclid tank so i can get ym cichlid out of my big tank..even tho i know he will ge ttoo big for it

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
powerheads generally do not replace other filters, like HOBs; however, if you have the powerhead pulling water through a sponge filter, or similar apparatus, then I don't see why you couldn't replace an HOB with a powerhead. In one of my tanks I have a powerhead pulling water from the opposite end of the tank. The water flows through 2 cylindrically shaped pond filters, through PVC piping that runs under the gravel, and up through the powerhead. I get tank turnover every 3 mintues (give or take), and the water is ALWAYS crystal clear, even minutes after I plant/replant or stir up the gravel. This is the best filter I have. Every couple of weeks I rinse the pond filters. This is my cleanest tank, btw.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
It's not too much for the 20gallon, but may not be enough for the 55. I assume it's for the 20gallon?...

Last edited by a moderator:

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I'd pass on the sponge. They can really add to nitrates... even the coarser ones. Ample live rock will take care of your filtration. So basically all you want is a lot of water circulation. And like kahlua said, you want no dead spots. Especially in the live rock. This keeps things from stagnating and also can eliminate slime algae problems down the road.

I've read you can never have too much current in saltwater, but some corals can't stand a high blast, so every tank is tailored, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey all...instead of deleting this thread completely or just closing it...posts have been edited or deleted to keep this more 'on topic' because we felt it was a valid conversation

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
where there's smoke, there's fire...

Thanks Froggy. I probably don't even belong here since I'm not a SW person myself. That serves me right for dabbling with the dark side.

back to the topic:
KahluaZzZ said:
and now for nitrate in sponge. If you clean it often, well you shouldn't worry about it.
yeah, agree on that one, clean every couple of weeks and your nitrate levels will NOT be affected by it. Mine often drop to zero with 2 pond filters running to my power head.

"A proud member of the Anti-Ballistic Comment Treaty"

Last edited:

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
well right now i only have to HOB filters with nothign in them so my live rock is doing all my filtering but in three days I'm buyign a powerhead....w/o the filter. secondly what should i all get for a clean up crew?