I LOVE FISHYS

gillnurse

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
I am so excited about my new 30 Gallon tank. My hubby was against it at fist...but I got it as a gift.:) Now he loves it and wants to eventually get a huge tank. ;)
I love fish. I think I am a dork about em. So if anybody has any pointers or anything let me have em.
Haven't put fish in my big tank yet. I am thinkin of some cory cats and some guppies, a swordtail, a platy, and maybe a molly. Not all at once though.
I think fish are cool.
so that's it!

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Hey welcome to the tank! you will learn ALOT here.

About you 'waiting' for the cycle,...have you put in ammonia or something to start the cycle coz it wont happen on its own ....thats what i did once and i was waiting for it to happen when someone told me it wont without fish or pure ammonia haha

gillnurse

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
Thanks

Helena21 said:
Hey welcome to the tank! you will learn ALOT here.

About you 'waiting' for the cycle,...have you put in ammonia or something to start the cycle coz it wont happen on its own ....thats what i did once and i was waiting for it to happen when someone told me it wont without fish or pure ammonia haha
So guess what. I went to the store and talked to the guy and he said to go ahead and test the ammonia and I did it was good. so he said to go ahead and get just a few fish so i did.:)

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
How long have you had it set-up? Every new tank has to go in a cycle process. Be very careful when doing fish cycling. Watch those levels. O yeah and don't listen too much to the people at the LFS. Ask these guys/girls for any advice. It works better since some people do give good advice.

Last edited:

gillnurse

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
YEP

joeyjoeq said:
How long have you had it set-up? Every new tank has to go in a cycle process. Be very careful when doing fish cycling. Watch those levels. O yeah and don't listen too much to the people at the LFS. Ask these guys/girls for any advice. It works better since some people do give good advice.
I tested the ammonia levels and they're right. I've studied up for about a month. I am a dork..:) so I don't mind the studying. I also have asked different people so I could gather my own conclusion...if you know what i mean. I love these fishy sites though they are awesome help
thanks!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
About ammonia reading in an empty tank...
It will be zero until you add fish. The ammonia comes from fish waste. The lfs people often are stupid.

Go to the top of the beginners' forum and read the stickies that say 'read me first'. It will be very enlightening. It has tons of good info to get you off to a great start.

Welcome to the tank!

gillnurse

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
thanks

homebunnyj said:
About ammonia reading in an empty tank...
It will be zero until you add fish. The ammonia comes from fish waste. The lfs people often are stupid.

Go to the top of the beginners' forum and read the stickies that say 'read me first'. It will be very enlightening. It has tons of good info to get you off to a great start.

Welcome to the tank!
Yeah I had a couple goldies in the tank for a week before. The folks at the pet store here ...well...they are awesome. They know a lot for real. They have all the meds and a ton of fishys. I love it!

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
gillnurse said:
Yeah I had a couple goldies in the tank for a week before. The folks at the pet store here ...well...they are awesome. They know a lot for real. They have all the meds and a ton of fishys. I love it!

Welcome to the tank!! :D

2 fish in a 30g for one week? The tank is not cycled, and should have no more fish introduced. Despite what the "pros" at the LFS told you, you need to read up on cycling with fish, now that you have them.

Goldfish are HUGE waste generators, so watch those water parameters (Not Just Ammonia). My advice...return your "goldies" they are coldwater fish, and will not fit into your Tropical fish plans.