I NEED HELP ASAP, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
My fish are droping like flies!! My Nitrates are high for some reason. I am doing a (25%)water change, again. I just did one so.... But within 4 days I have lost my Angel and my Female Krib and the male is not looking good (but everyone else is looking fine) These fish would hide for about a day and then all of a sudden... I dont understand this, can someone please help me?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
are all you other paramaters ok besides nitrate?

Are you missing any other fish that you didnt take into account that may have died and started the nitrate problem? The water changes will help and they should come down

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The most recent was last week and it was just before the problem started; I added 1 more Botia. He is very tiny though. One piece of driftwood is fairly new, but was soaked for 2 weeks first. Would this cause this spike?? And in case anyone is wondering this tank has been cycled for a few months now.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
high nitrates probably aren't going to kill fish unless its a prolonged thing. When you do water changes do you gravel vac?

Have you had any temperature fluxuations or pH fluxuations lately?? The driftwood could cause a drop in pH that would be more harmful than elevated nitrates.

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Have you checked ALL of your water parameters? I know that you said that your pH stays consistant, but did you check it recently? A couple of months ago, a bunch of my fish died for what seemed like no reason. A couple of days later, I realized that my pH had dropped to about 5. :eek: I pretty much felt like an idiot when I figured it out...

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I came home from work today and I lost my new baby botia!! :( I checked my tank again and the nitrates are safe again (barely) and pH has dropped just slightly. It went from being 6.9ish to about 6.6ish. What would cause that? I am going to do one more water change anything else that I should do?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Observe closely all fish.Look out for stress,bullying,skin problems etc.
If the new fish introduced something the others have no immunity to you'll just have to ride it out.You could try upping the temp to 29-30°C for a couple of days.That sometimes helps with certain things.Try and aerate the water at the same time though as it will reduce the available oxygen.
I wouldn't worry too much about the ph drop aslong as it doesn't go any further.I think the maximum change in a day(when your adjusting ph) should be 0.2ph.