i need help fast...

herman

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2004
canada
Visit site
Hi, I have a betta in a bowl and he has been happy there for about 7 months. I take care of him very well but lately he has been sitting at the bottom of the bowl kind of on an angle. He swims every now and then and sometimes he gets a little lopsided while hes swimming. He also makes very jerky motions sometimes making very fast darts around the bowl. What is the matter with him and what can i do for him to fix whatever is the matter? I have a bigger tank that my brother in law was going to give me for him with a small pencil filter that i was going to use for him... should I? or should i not? that will arrive this weekend but i want him to get better before i move him anywhere?

what do i do??
thanx everyone so much

Dec 25, 2004
Visit site
Well conditions in a bowl can change rapidly. was it cold one night in the last couple of days? did you change the water recently? over feed? I dont know about keeping fish in a bowl because I have never done that before.

basically it comes down to water quality and stable conditions if those things change drastically in a day or two it can cause problems.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It might be something like swim bladder trouble. You could try feeding him a boiled skinnless pea, although I think that's more for constipation or bloat.

Also, it might help to do a water change. It can't hurt, so long as the water is near the same temperature and is dechlorinated.

Last edited:

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Yes, the pea idea is a good one. You might hold off feeding him for a couple of days other than the pea. He isn't "pine-coning" is he. That is his scales aren't standing out from the body are they?

herman

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2004
canada
Visit site
no, his scales are completely normal. By skinless boiled pea, u do mean a real pea? that a human would eat? lol or an actual fish thing that i would buy in a fish store. im sorry guys, but im new to this. but thanx for the help.

infant340

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
the mitten state
Visit site
he just mite be old. who knows how old we is if u got him fromt he petstore. probably about 1 and 3-5 monthy if u did get him from petstore. and since its old hes gonna become more suceptiple to disease so u should try to get if a small tank with heater or sumthin like that.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I would say it sounds like a water quality thing...be sure to regularly change his water (matching the temperature and using dechlorinator). Yes, they are talking about a pea, like the kind that humans eat.

denimous

Large Fish
May 18, 2003
sunny california
Visit site
what you're describing sounds like an undergravel filter. unfortunately...ive never used one before...so i cant help you there.

im not sure...but if you're betta is sick right now. moving him right away may overstress him. so i think i would be really careful, or try to make sure he's stabilized before the change in scene.

goodluck with your betta, i hope he gets well soon!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yes herman...thats what that piece is for. You put that down on the bottom of the tank, underneath any gravel. Then you attach an airstone to the end of some tubing and put it down the tube that is attached to that piece with all the holes. The other end of the tubing you attach to an air pump. If your tank was new it should have had some kind of diagram with it, or picture of it setup....plus all the pieces.