I need help guys!!

Oct 13, 2005
Ok heres the thing, I recently received a 55 gal tank as a gift. It came with everything, or atleast I think. 2 filters, 1 heater, and an air pump. Is there anything else I need? I have had small tanks before but nothing major. Do you guys have any ideas of what I can put in this tank? Something that would not be tooo difficult for a beginner. THanks for all your help!!

Oct 13, 2005
I wanted to add that I would like a varity of different things. And where do you guys get your decorations? The local stores here don't really have a varity to choose from. And the tank has not been setup yet--water or anything. So is there any thing special I need to do besides add water and hook up equipment? Thanks Again

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
What are you looking for in fish?? Big, small, active, aggressive, community?? You shouldt need to use the airpump but they are good to have. The filters will create your air. I have 2 filters running on my 55G so you can use both. I have my heater right next to one of my filters that way it pushes the warm water around. The best plants to use are the silk ones if your going the fake route. I recomend looking around on the website (Rate My Tank, Freshwater Beginer/Questions, Freshwater General Discussion) to get some ideas. Good Luck!!

Oct 13, 2005
Thanks! I am looking at going fake with decorations. As for fish, I have noooooo clue!! I know that is bad, but thats why I am asking for help. I do know that I am looking for something mid range that is not hard to keep alive.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hi!
Does the tank have a stick on thermometer? If not, you will need one of those (not necessarily the stick on kind, but whatever thermometer you prefer). I would recommend getting some water test kits as well (for Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate).
Have you read or understand tank 'cycling'? I am assuming yes, since you say you've had small tanks before, but if not, you should read some of the stickies regarding cycling on this forum.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
cool tank...good size...
i'm a first timer...and my fish are groovy and easy to keep...
check out the list at the bottom of my mail...

you have got to read the sticky at the top of this forum...
you have got to learn about water quality and cycling...
[sounds heavy...it is...unless you want dead fish...:(]...

water has to be dechlorinated/dechloramined...
tank has to be cycled...with or without fish...
you need to know and understand the 'nitrogen cycle'...

again...lots to learn...but well worth it...

research everything before you start...
ask all you can here...and surf like crazy on da 'net...

good luck...and have great funn...
setting up a tank is a great adventure...
have a good time... :):):)

research...research...research ... :)

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
iceblueeyes said:
Is this a chemical or is it equipment? I have a thermometer. As for cycling, I need to check that out. I really don't know much about it. Again thanks guys!!
chemical...mine is called tapsafe...
it de-activates the harmfull chemicals in tapwater...
it's vitally important... :)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Yes its a chemical. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4057&N=2004+112993
This will help you cycle your tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3991&N=2004+112990
I would Read this:
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31669
I put this together as a future stocking list. Just to give you an idea.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=830 So you can see what I am talking about.
9 Danios
6 Cories
5 Platies
2 Angelfish
1 Gourami
You dont want to add this all at once but its nice to know what you want ahead of time. Just a few fish at a time. Also you dont have to follow the list that I made. I just made it to give you an idea of what can go together. Let us know what fish you think ar interesting and we can help you form there. :)

Oct 13, 2005
That is a really neat combo of fish. The only thing that is of a concern to me is that the local petstores do not have a great selection of fish, would it be of to order them? And I have a African clawed frog in a seperate tank, if I wanted to put him in this tank what tank mates would work for him?

I also think I am starting to understand the ammonia part of the cycling, but what about the nitrites and nitrates? What do you do about them?

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Ice - the nitrites are the end product from the bacteria which live off the ammonia, as the nitrites increase, bacteria which live off that will begin to colinize your tank. Nitrites are also toxic to fish but in higher levels than ammonia. You would want to test for nitrites as your tank is cycling too and perform water changes accordingly to keep the levels low if you are doing a fish-in cycle, leave it be if you're doing fish-less. When those bacteria start colonizing your tank, they'll expell nitrates as an end product. Nitrates can be used by live plants as fertilizer and can be kept at an acceptable level by performing regular water changes.

Biospira definitely works and can be an option if you prefer more immediate satisfaction. ;) Just stock *lightly* and give the tank time to stabilise.

SPIKE88

Medium Fish
Dec 8, 2005
Ohio
I would go with 5 or 6 cories and an assortment of tetras. Tetras are small (in most cases), schooling fish. They are fun to watch and you will be able to have many varities of color. Most tetras are relatively cheap also.