I need some help with my 29G

turnblom79

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I have recently cycled my tank and had starter fish live in it for a week successfully. After the week I bought some new fish and added them(see signature). Since I have added the new ones, three cardinal tetras have died and the tank has been cloudy for the last 2 days. Any insights?

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I had an overstocked tank for a short time and the same thing happened, except I didn't loose any fish. The tank finally finished cycling when I got my new tank.

To help it cycle you can use something like Bio-Spria as seen HERE
Or stress-zime as seen HERE

I haven't used the Bio-Spira product, but from what I heard, it works the best.
I used the stress-zime in my new tank, I don’t know if it helped or not because its too soon to tell, but its been a week and my ammonia levels are .025 for the last week. I'm also using the filter with the bio-wheel I had on the fully cycled tank so that might of helped as well.

good luck!

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
How long was your tank cycled before you added fish? You really need to get an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kit so you know what you're working with. I think the cloudyness might be from the ammonia. Does it smell kinda funky and fishy?

Keep doing frequent water changes. Personally, I'd do at least 50% every day until you can test the water.

Your rookie mistake here was that you added too many fish too quickly. Most of us have been there and done that though so just chaulk it up to a learning experience. :)

Good luck!

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Here are some links to articles about the nitrogen cycle (cycling). Read up on them so you'll know what your tank is going through.
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cycling.php
The Nitrogen Cycle - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

You will need a test kit, if you don't already have one. You will need tests for ammonia and nitrIte. Tests for nitrAtes and pH are also helpful. I recommend the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit. Whatever you get, go with liquid tests, as they are more accurate.

Big Als Online sells this kit for $13.

I would test the water daily and try to keep the ammonia and nitrIte levels below 1ppm. That may mean doing daily water changes (be sure to dechlorinate), but it will give your fish a better chance of survival.

The cloud is most likely a bacterial bloom caused by adding too many fish at one time. It should go away on its own...especially if you are doing frequent water changes.

Don't vacuum the gravel during the cycle and don't change out the filter media...good bacteria are building up in them, so just leave them alone!

Also, do you know what type of red cichlids you have? Some red cichlids (Red Zebras, Red Devils, etc...) aren't meant for community tanks. If you don't know the name(s), can you post a picture? I would hate for you to have fish in the tank that you can't keep. Its best to ID them and find out if they are compatible before you get too attached. ;)

Welcome to the site by the way! :D

Last edited:

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
GIS Guy said:
Appears to have been running/cycling for 1 week?
I didn't want to assume cuz the way I read it was what the tank was cycled already and that fish have been there 1 week. :cornfused:

Hey turnblom79, we need some clarification please. :)