i need some help

kooling

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2010
can you help me i just got a new aquarium 45 gallons and i need some advice
filters been running for a week and a half my water isn't cloudy anymore and my fish are healthy.

fish i have:
3 serpae tetras(they pick on my red tailed sharks :()
2 red eyed tetras(school with my serpae tetras)
1 peppered cory catfish
2 red tailed sharks (they get along just fine no fighting at all)

decorations:
a hollow viking ship (sharks love this)
an easter island statue head(tetras love hiding behind this)
a hollow treasure chest(sharks love this too)
a pirate (just for show)
and 5 plants
with blue and black gravel

thanks in advanced *twirlysmi

(getting new background soon)

Attachments

Last edited:

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
keep on top of water changes (very important in new tank with a good amount of fish). Have you seeded your tank at all. (putting some thing or some water from an established tank in yours)? Just make sure the water changes are done with the properly conditioned water, no straight out of the tap stuff.
Do the tetras nip or challenge all the fish or is it just the sharks?

Last edited:

kooling

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2010
mainly the sharks and its only one of the tetras they are missing some top parts of their fins and i put in stress coat and stress zyme to get my tank started

kooling

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2010
well i got the whole thing about water conditions i just want advice on the fin nippers and how to keep my fish the happiest they can be *SUPERSMIL also when my RTBS outgrow my tank i know someone who willl happily take them and i may be getting a 55g soon

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
The best thing to do to cut down the fin nipping, which is most likely being caused by the tetras, is to fill out your tetra school. Tetras are best kept in groups of 5 or more. A lot of the fish you have are best in groups, like the cory, the clown loach and the dojo loach. Don't know if you were aware, but your clown loach will reach up to 12" and are recommended in groups of 5 or more. Dojo loaches are generally 6", but have been known to get up to 10", and are best in groups of 3 or more. Also, you tetras might nip your angels' fins, so I'd keep an eye on that as well. The fact that your RTBS and tetras hide a lot indicates that they're probably stressed. I'd seriously rethink your stocking because once your fish all reach adult size, you'll be at 174% stocked. :eek:

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
ahhh I love a nice school of tetras :) but I wouldn't go adding anything else to your tank until it cycles. corys do better with friends also, odd #'s, 3 or more. I think thats the rule of thumb so to speak.

kooling

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2010
ok well i am getting rid of my tetras they are bothering the whole tank and fighting with their whole school and i am gonna see if my sharks do well if not i can give it to a aquarium enthusiest and she loves all the fish i have and has special tanks for each*celebrate

Last edited:

kooling

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2010
ok im really bummed most of my fish just crashed and burned 1 of the RTS died along with the dojo loach and only my anglefish and tetras look healthy right now...my god help these fish through the night:(

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I know you said you were not looking for advice on water conditions, but I think now you will be, or at least need some. Do you know what the ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites are? Either way you should be doing massive daily water changes to save what fish you have left.