I never rinsed my filter and componants

crowfish

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2008
I never rinsed my filter and componants before starting my 60 gallon tank is this why the water is cloudy white.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
How long has your tank been running crowfish and what are the waterperameters.

If it's a brand new tank and it's been running for just a few days then this is likely the bacterial bloom that comes when Ammonia starts to accumulate in the tank.

crowfish

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2008
hello yes thanks for the help yes my tank is now coming up on its 2nd week Iam going out today to buy a test kit do i need to be changing my water everyday and how much and do i need to add water conditioner????

crowfish

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2008
yes i

yes i have 6 fries and 1 adult male guppy presently living in tank i just got back from store and tested my water the nitrate level is just under 5ppm so iam just started to turn nitrite into nitrate my other reading are 0 my ph level however is a little high at 7.9ppm so how do I mantain a safe ph level for my guppies

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
pH levels aren't anything to take great care to maintain...it's a common myth (and marketing ploy $$$...) that you need to "control your ph" and that there are certain ph levels that are better than others. The best thing is to keep nitrates levels down and since you are still cycling...keep doing small water changes (20% or so) to keep your nitrites and nitrates low. Ph levels are less of a problem than maintaining stable, low nitrate levels. Your fish will adjust to ph :)

crowfish

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2008
okay thanks thats was I was thinking it was a marketing thing because there really is no need to test for a freakn million things in a bloody aquarium, my nitrate level is low so is the nitrite Iam just starting to build my nitrate level, do I need some type of air pump or does my filter provide sufficient oxygen to my fish
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
crowfish it sounds like you really need to read some of the stickies on the beginner thread here re setting up a tank and cycling it.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
What kind of filter do you have? The oxygen levels are affected by surface agitation....the bubbles from an air-pump are basically only useful in that they break up the surface of the water to create a Co2 exchange. If you have a filter that splashes onto the surface of the water as it deposits filtered water back out - then you're a-ok. If your water surface is all jumbled up then you're providing plenty of oxygen :)

crowfish

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2008
filter response to oxygen

yes i have a fluval 305 wich does not hit the surface rather just moves the surface water, My take creates no bubbles at all, you think with everything i got with the tank oxygen should be provided for the price I paid.

crowfish

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2008
yes my filter is a fluval 305 the manual called for it to be set up not on the surface I have no jumbled water on the surface no bubble at all in my intire tank.