I think I got a problem.....

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
So I have this one really fat neon tetra and he isn't acting odd or something but I notice, when I studying him wondering why he is so fat, that his scales appear to be sticking out or bubbling. :eek:

Does anyone know what is going on and how I should fix it?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Dropsy is generally a secondary infection - i.e, it was caused by something else, possibly a parasite, virus or bacterial infection.

Success rate with treating dropsy is unfortunately very low (although I have had limited success in the past). I isolated the fish, increased salinity of the water greatly, and increased aeration and temperature. This has unfortunately only worked for me once, so I'd suggest removing the tetra and looking for a possible cause. Checking your water parameters would be first port of call.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I had a fear it was dropsy but I was really hoping it wasn't because he isn't acting strangely and he is eating properly.

The water parameters are:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - between 5 & 20ppm

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Oh man......well I guess I should euthanasia him. To minimize his pain as well as hopefully contain the spread of the disease as much as possible. Although I think he has been like this since I got him (about 2 months ago) so I will need to monitor the other tetra's.

Hello! I was surfing the web and found this forum. I saw your post and joined so I can reply!

My goldfish just survived dropsy. Here's what I did:

-Fed it only peas (if they don't eat them right away, don't worry! When they get hungry enough they will, trust me) I did this by taking off the skin and breaking the inside into two parts. I then stuck one half on a tooth pick and held it underwater. By the 3rd day of trying, my fish ate it. Now she loves peas! haha

-Used twice the normal amount of maracyn II for 7 days. So,14 packs over one week.

-Changed 1/3 of the water once every 3 days

-Uped the amount of saltin the water.

There's a very good chance your fish could just be constipated. I was not sure which my fish had (her scales were slightly raised and her eyes were bugged, but she acted normal) So I came up with that method above.

It's been about 3 weeks since my fish has had dropsy/constipation and she's fine now! I really hope this helps..I came to this conclusion from reading various success stories online. I'm not sure if it will work for all fish, but it worked for mine. Best of luck!

Brittany