I think I have Ich

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
The other night, I noticed that the quarantine tank's heater was acting odd when the digital thermometer said 87 degrees F, even though it was set for 80. I unplugged the heater, and then forgot completely about it. In the morning, the temperature of the tank was 70 degrees. I plugged the heater back in, fearing the worst. When I got home later that day, the tank was back at 87. I noticed Ich on my sixline wrasse, whom has been in the quarantine tank for three weeks and was going to be entering the main tank next week. So far, I only see the Ich cysts on the tail. I dropped the SG down to 1.022 (from 1.026 or 7) last night, and bought a brand new heater.

I plan on dropping the SG down even lower, but I don't know how far down I can go. I don't want to treat with copper yet (I'd like the save the piece of LR in the QT). What other options do I have? I also raised the temperature up to 82 to speed up the Ich's life cycle. This is the first time I've dealt with Ich in either fresh or saltwater. Any advice? Thanks

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Man, I bet you're glad it showed up now instead of in your display tank!

I'd drop the salinity down to 1.015-1.011 over the course of 2-3 days. I don't know about six-lines, but my clown and mandarin have done fine in 84 degree weather (during the summer for prolong periods). Do you have any other fish in there?

Keep the salinity low for 5-6 days after the last cyst has disappeared, the duration depending on how high the temperature is. Then slowly bring the salt back up to snuff. I've never done hypo, but I believe boosting the salinity back up to normal range takes at least a week.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
you actually should keep it at low salinity for a few weeks, and lower the salinity to 1.009. i hope he pulls through and its not a disaster like my venture into hypo wich killed everyone of my fish. just remember to do often water changes to keep ammonia and nitrates down. good luck!!!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Watch the pH when you go hypo.

I can't imagine what happened to you gouramiman - I can only think ammonia or less possibly a crash in pH though the latter seems unlikely. Anyway, buffer it up. I have had my sixline go thro hypo twice, and copper, without missing a beat.