I think my betta's dying

nina

New Fish
Mar 20, 2006
I just got my fella two days ago and I think he's very sick. I bought him, shrimp, and a water plant 2 days ago and put them in a 1 gallon tank. He was fine yesterday. When I got home he dropped nose first into the gravel. then he was floating on his side at the top. He's also been lying on his side on the gravel as well.

He's lost his luster and color since yesterday and now his right eye and surrounding area are white. Please help! I'm so upset...my first pet and he's sick.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Do a google search of betta diseases of betta illnesses as quickly as possible and try to diagnose what may be ailing him. What are your water parameters? Did you treat his water with anything before you put him in it? Is he eating? Try posting in the Betta/Gourami forum too, all the experts are there and can help you out. Good luck, and get researching to see if you can diagnose him and then treat him as soon as possible.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I'm no expert on Bettas but a 1 gallon tank I would say was on the small side.How big is he?

Quite possible that ammonia has built up to such a level that he just can't cope.Do a 50% water change and use de-chlorinator and see if he perks up after a few hours.
Invest in Ammonia and Nitrite test kits aswell.You want to keep both to nil ppm.

It's also quite possible you bought a diseased fish without knowing it and the added stress of bad water conditions has pushed him over the edge.Do the waterchange first and we'll go from there.

nina

New Fish
Mar 20, 2006
I added "bowl buddies" to make the water safe and a couple drops of algae destroyer before adding them.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
I agree with TLH, do the water change, add the buddies to the new water (where they the Betta Bowl Buddies, or just the Bowl Buddies?). I wouldn't add any algae destroyer for right now. A one gallon tank will be fine for him. It is on the small side, but it will be fine, I myself only have a 1.5gallon tank :) Do you have a filter?

nina

New Fish
Mar 20, 2006
Yes it has a filter and according to the box it looks like it’s the same size as yours about 1½ gallon.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
ok, what kind of filter does it have? an undergroung with a tube coming up from the bottom of the tank and an airstone in the tube?? if so, you should look into getting an elbow (made for underground filters) and then getting carbon filters to snap into the elbow. did you do the water change? have you been able to do any research yet?

nina

New Fish
Mar 20, 2006
underground with a tube coming up from the bottom of the tank and an airstone in the tube. I did the water change... I'm still reasearching but it seems like it could be a fungal infection and swim bladder disorder.

nina

New Fish
Mar 20, 2006
Thanks everyone for all of your help. Alfie passed away last night. I took him back to the store where I got him. They replaced him with some major attitude. It took me awhile to pick a new one. Many of them looked to have tail rot. Now that I did more research I think it might have helped. It wouldn't surprise me that "Alfie" might have already been sick to begin with.

My new betta seems different. Very active. He's a trip! Again thanks. :eek:)

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
hey Nina this is Nina! Sorry to hear about your Betta passing away I know how you feel been there.

Now for you new betta clean the snot out of the tank hot water no soap and rinse rocks well, fillwith h20 and add one betta bpwl buddy let it fizz away wait a few moments like 15 minute then add new fish in.

that should work well. A tank that size clean every 2 weeks and do the same thing at every change.

if you need more help feel free to ask here we have alot of helpers.

No do yu pronounce your name Neenah or NINE_AH

nina

New Fish
Mar 20, 2006
Niña...Just a nickname.

I did as you suggested. I left him 5 hours ago & he was very active & having a blast. He was moving around so much I haven't been able to take a photo that's not blurry. ;)