i think my fish is dying or sick idk

meagheavz

Medium Fish
Aug 13, 2007
i have a cherry barbs, in the middle of his body(male) its no so red, kind like he got hit or hurt something just in that one spot, last night , i found him swimming around odd. like flopping around or facing striaght down..i though he was dying for sure last night. i wait up for a few hours and he swam like a retard but he is still alive, i went to bed and i got up and he swims all oddly leaning sideways, twisting, but he is ok.is he like a retarded fish or is he sick??

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Since you just set up this tank, it could be ammonia poisoning. Make sure you are monitoring your water parameters and doing daily water changes if you are doing fish-in cycling.

meagheavz

Medium Fish
Aug 13, 2007
the guy is still kicking though, he came from the sotre like that.he side is lite in one spot like he got head butted..he swims like a moron, and his fins are down, everyone is look and seems happy..but i think he might be ok. he is still bright red(cherry barb) ive seen him eat..but he hassnt died and its been a few days.just swims like a tard...he's a "special fish"

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The most important thing at this point is to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low. A healthy fish will not be swimming like a "moron." If he is swimming so, he is probably sick or getting poisoned by the water quality. If you are doing a "fish in" cycle in your tank, you should be changing the water everyday to every other day depending on your ammonia and nitrite levels. Both should be below 1.0ppm. Don't mess around with your PH.

meagheavz

Medium Fish
Aug 13, 2007
my nitrate was at maybe 10, nitrite was at .25, and my ammo was at 0 till last nite or today i like it went up a very small amount i have ammo rocks and i just got ammo lock so i dont think i need to worrie about that, im a little worried they ******* dumb cleaning lady clean the outside of the tank window cleaner with ammo, i hope it doesnt hurt my fish..i got the bigger gravel vac and i think it was to big for my tank so i used the small one, it was messy, but im gonna try wut u said in a few days

Last edited by a moderator: