I think my new Gourami is on its death bed Help!

Jun 24, 2009
I have had this gourami for a couple of weeks now and it has been doing great. The last couple of days he has been acting a more sluggish than normal but today when I came home today it looks like one of his gills are missing. You can see flesh. The only thing in the tank w/ him is neon and rummy nose tetras and they don't go near him. Now he can't even stay up or swim. He just lays there and he looks close to death. I took him out and and tried to take a picture but they won't come out. Any ideas. It like his gill fell off overnight. It sucks. Please help. I don't all my other fish to die as well.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Im sorry your gourami isn't doing well

Can you help us help you by adding some more information here? We need to know what your water conditions are, so the results of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate tests... As well as how long the tank has been set up, how big of a tank it is, when the last time was you did a water change and anything else you can tell us.

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I don't know if I'm colder than most, but I'd say cut your losses and flush him... They're cheap enough, and I'm not one who thinks that fish recover from traumatic circumstances.. You'll likely just be prolonging the unavoidable..

On top of that, I know that my water treatment plant empties out into a local river, and I'm sure my fish would be happier there than in my tanks...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
While sometimes it makes sense to put them out of their misery, depending on how bad off they are, you still ought to do a check on the tank parameters and let us help you try to make sure that there isn't something you can do to keep your other fish healthy.

Aug 3, 2009
I had the same thing happen to one of my Gouramis. I had from for about a month and a half and he was perfectly fine. Then one day I noticed is was skinnier the normal and was acting very sluggish. After about a week he could barely move from the bottom. All my other fish were fine. I eventually just took him out and put in my a small tank buy himself in till he finally passed.

Jun 24, 2009
Thanks for the replies....

He died about an hour after my post. It's not a matter of it being a trematic lost or anything like that and yes he was cheap. I am more concerned w/ what he may have had and how that is going to affect my tank and the other fish. As I stated in my earlier post my neons and rummy noses are doing fine. Acting as normal. My water quality is good. Ammonia,nitrites =0 and my nitrates are .5 ppm. They are consistent as I stay on top of my frequent water changes. It was just weird how it was out of the blue. In the span of one day his gill was gone. It looked as though something took a chunk of it or something to that sort...just flesh. I asked the guy at the LFS and he said he had never heard of that especially since the only other fish I have are the neons and Rummynoses. Anyhow...I am lost as to what it was. I am going to do a water change tonight and another in a few days to try and get all that water out of there. Any suggestions or opinions are certainly welcomed! Thanks.

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Well, breeders are breeding the heck out of fish and putting more and more strain on the healthy ones.. Every now and then you get a dud, and there's nothing you can do about it.. Luckily, pet stores like PetCo have a guarantee, and if you freeze the fish until you go again with your receipt they'll replace it.. Oh, and you need a water sample with you, too, so they can ensure that it's not your bad fish keeping that killed the fish..

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Kyle, "flushing" a fish doesn't kill him immediately, it just prolongs his misery sending him into a painful trip through your pipes and eventual painful death of chemicals. If you truly want to put him out of his misery, I would suggest killing him before flushing.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I don't know if I'm colder than most, but I'd say cut your losses and flush him...
You beat me to the response MissFishy.

I could understand a duffer suggesting someone "flush" a fish. However, I can't believe that someone who's smart enough to frequent a forum on fishkeeping would suggest such a thing.

Kind of like abandoning an old dog in the desert.

Jun 24, 2009
Well since KyleBradely's comment has gotten us discussing the subject....what is everyone's opinion as to the best way to humanely put a fish "down". Luckily it took care of itself this time but I would like to know for future references. I heard Clove oil and vodka. Any thoughts???