I tihnk I've gotten a pair of Centropyge...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'm trying to 'make' a pair of Centropyge flavipectoralis in my 'QT' tank, and right now it's looking pretty good.. today I am feeling lucky.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
250 litres, then into my next 'big build', but thats a good 8 months away. If they pair 250 litres is plenty big, if they don't then it isn't, but right now it's looking good.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
That's cool Wayne. Do you have any other Centropyge? For some reason I have bad luck with this species. I just lost a Bicolor 3 days ago for no apparent reason and I lost a Coral beauty last year to a fungus that it alone developed but no other fish did and it later died during treatment in my QT. I was feeding them Dwarf Angelfish Formula and each was housed (I did not own them at the same time) in my main display which I believe to be a thriving healthy system within which I have corals that readily grow and reproduce. Go figure.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I had a bicolour, and found it reasonably hardy though it got shifted when I decided I wanted a pair. I don't think they're easy long term, and def appreciate some hair algae and stuff to browse on, but they are awesome, awesome fish. Having a pair (2 weeks now) is so cool, and the larger is def now turning into a male as the dorsal and anal fins are stretching.
I have no real tips, except look at photos of where they live, try to build a tank that looks like that if you want to keep the tougher species. And buy them small and care for them. I think you have to assume they will get at least 50% of their nutrition browsing, and prepred foods are just a supplement, so I wonder if really nutrient bare sps tanks would be a bit too low on nutrient?

Next year I move into my new house, and am so going to work for a spawn when I get a deep enough tank. There are a stack of commercial fish farmers round here working on pelagic species, and so I have discovered some sources of rotifers and other standard foods that i can get for effectively zero, so having a real go at growing some out is now slightly less impossible (though obviously no cakewalk). The fish farmers are definitely interested in helping out.