i use filtered water (the ones for us to drink) for water change.

helo. usually i would use normal tap water to do water change. (yeah, i use anti-chlorine with it) but i try using filtered water to ones we use for drinking. (the filter, remove chlorine etc so us humans can drink straight from it it got other function as well, remove odor, filtering up to 5-micron..)

after i use it, my oscar tank got cloudy. any reason why?

water parameters are all acceptable. it's just white cloudy, not green cloudy.

should i use my old method of water change or any other suggestion?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
It could just be that the some of the dirt/substrate got kicked up as you poured the water. If that is the case, just let some time pass to let it settle.

Why do you use drinking water? What would happen if you got thirsty but found out you used it all on the fish tank? J.K.

I still use tap water and add conditioner. When I'm not in a hurry, I even leave the water to sit out for 24 hours to remove the bad things. I keep mainly livebearers. And I think Oscars are hardy enough to handle the tap water.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
actually there are things even in filteres water that could bother a fish. flourine, and yes there is either chlorine or chloramine in your water, the city puts it in the kill bacteria. so the drops help.
but yes, you should let water sit. the day before i do water changes i fill up a 55g trash bucket, just to be safe. :)

thanks for the reply.

TheFighterFish:
the oscar is a barebottom tank. (i place some pics in the gallery). this didnt happen before using tapwater.
i think you misunderstood me. well i wont run out of the drinking water, i can just open the tap water, turn this 2-way valve so it goes to the filter unit and i get clean, filtered water.

Fuzz16:
what does flourine do to fishes?

humm.. most of you guys sit your water 24hours before putting it in. (tot of it a couple of times, and still thinking about it)

about the above, i think its bacterial bloom. the filter water got no chlorine in which when place in.. would trigger the bacteria to bloom. just my tot. but if you are using your sitting water method, the chlorine is gone but why no bloom..

i change 30% of the water using tapwater(about 2hours ago), and yet to see the cloudiness go..