I wanna know if this Med really works

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
It called Correct pH Tank buddies it said it will give me a pH of 7.0 I dont think this would work but i would like you opinions

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Usually its a bad idea to mess with your Ph. Your fish are much better of with just the stable Ph of your tank then if you try to mess with it. Not only does changing the Ph make things more difficult on you, but it can also cause swings in your Ph if your not careful too. The large changes of Ph can cause stress to your fish and probably kill them if it happens enough. I will admit I'm not an expert on this stuff but I'm pretty positive that you don't really want to mess with your Ph.

Any other opinions to back me up or prove me wrong would be great. :D

cgbender

Small Fish
Jan 24, 2008
Insted of messing with chemicals, look into reverse osmosis water. It can be found outside of almost any grocery store .... $0.35 a gal .... with a ph of 7 and its free of chlorine and other things you don't really want in your water. NOTE .... though small water changes you will get the desired ph.

Last edited:
Most of the time any fish you're going to buy will be fine in whatever ph your tap water is. Just make sure that you introduce the fish gradually from the fish store water to your water.

The exceptions to this are if you are raising certain cichlids (in which case you need to raise your ph, not level it off to 7) or you are trying to breed certain fish (which usually require something other then the neutral 7).

Messing with the PH usually just means that you are going to stress the fish whenever you do a water change - because the ph will flux.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The problem with messing with your natural PH is that it's very very hard to keep it at that level. For example...You treat your 10 gallon tank to get the PH to 7.0. You do a water change, and treat the new water in the bucket and add that to the tank (assuming you can measure out EXACTLY how much is needed to get the new water's PH correct), now the water in your tanks PH will swing as the new water mixes with the old. This creates PH swings and fish hate that more than just a low or high stable and steady PH. Unless you're trying to breed or keep a very specific type of fish, I would NOT start messing with your PH.

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
I would recommend using your water alone right now unless you have a specific reason that you are trying to get a pH of 7.

What type of fish are you trying to keep? What is your pH now?

I wouldn't try and mess with anything right now. Your fish will be happier(word?) if you are more concerned with water changes then the pH.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm pretty sure neons are extremely difficult to breed. Everything that I have read on it seems to say its pretty tough to do. If you are able to breed them that would be really cool to see how you did it, so if you go through with trying this make sure to keep us updated with it.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
Iv done neons before but you need extremely extremely soft and slightly acidic water for them. takes along time and alot of dediaction for them. i would no recomend trying to breed them

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Neons aren't generally bred in captivity from what I've read. A lot of the ones you buy from the store are caught in the wild since they are so hard to breed. Also keep in mind that even if you manage to get some fry from your danios, you'll need to feed them microscopic foods. It takes a lot of time to successfully raise egglayer fry successfully. I would NOT mess with your PH regardless.