ich again

I got ich again in my 70 gallon from a mistake I made 1.not having a qt tank 2.putting a sick fish in with my other fish. I turned up the temperature to 89 and will keep it there? The question is can i use some table salt to help the process along I think i heard it somewhere but cant find the link anymore.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
It's best to only use Aquarium Salt. Table salt may be ok in smaller doses, but depending on how much you use, it can cause complications. Also, for treating ick, salt is not required. Just keep your temps up at 89 degrees and you'll be fine. You will get the ick no problem with no salt. I'm currently treating 4 tanks for ick as well, and no salt in any of the tanks.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Also, if you treat with salt, don't just put the salt directly into the tank. The fish will try to eat it, and end up getting salt burns on the scales and gills. Dissolve it in warm water first, then pour into the tank slowly. And you only want to do 1 teaspoon per 10G. Some say more, but that's all that's really needed, and is a safe level for even plecos and other scaleless fish. But all you really need is heat. It will take care of the problem. Also, make sure you have plenty of surface aggitation at the warmer temps.

channy

New Fish
Oct 4, 2006