ick question

ferderer5

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2005
Dickinson, ND
Ok i got a problem with ick i wanna kno how to get it out of my tank completely, as soon as i started seeing it appear i added "Quick Cure" the first day i added 29 drops because it says add 1 drop per gallon. Then the next day i added 29 again. Over night 2 of my clown loaches died, is this because i added too much "Quick Cure"? At the time the only visible ick was on the loaches, but now 4 days of adding quick cure, after the first two days of 29 drops i went down to 15 because all my other fish are moving really sluggishly. The danios are even moving more sluggishly, theyre still very active but. Is this the effects of adding too much quick cure or are they getting ick too? Should i keep adding quick cure, decrease the amount. or stop it all together? Thanks

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
the reason your loaches died was because of the medicine. loaches unlike other fish dont have scales or very small ones. they are extremely sensitive to medications.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
i also, wouldn't trust the quick cure. I see it marketed as a 'cure-all' for a lot of fish ailments......

if you've ever got another case of ich, i'd just go for raising tank temp, and salting the water slightly.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
Did you remove any carbon filtration first? And with the salt thing that JNevaril mentioned works great. I just had a problem with ich for 4 days and it just got worse. So I did a 30% water change and added enough salt for meds and it cleared up within 24 hours.

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
You should always research before you put anything in your tank. Everyone learns this the hard way. Tetras are also the same way with meds.

Next time try coppersafe with the scaleless fish.

Also do a search here about ich and do a little studying. Everyone has had it and there are some good and bad ways to deal with it.

How long has the tank be set-up? If it is a realtively new tank you could be suffering from new tank syndrome. Have you checked your water parameters?

ferderer5

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2005
Dickinson, ND
So far

Alright guys thanks for all the help i really appreciate this. My family and i had a 150 gallon tank bout 3 years ago so i thought id kno most of the stuff and i didnt do any research on quick cure or anything. I got it from my girlfriend without the box, so i didnt remember to take out the carbon from my filter. Now i remember seeing that on the box, she forgot to tell me to also. My tank has been set up for a month and a week, properly cycled but still could be new tank syndrome. So now with all this info how bad did i screw up my tank? do i need to get another filter cartridge and recycle everything or what? Keep in mind i live in a very small town the lfs is barely bigger than a standard apartment. I dont have access to coppersafe or many other chemicals because of this. Quick cure was the only ick removing item they had. So what do i do now? Thanks!

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
well, if it has new tank syndrome...it's not cycled.

do NOT get a new filter cartridge.

get a test kit. test your water daily. we will guide you more once you post the results.

get ready for frequent water changes......

ferderer5

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2005
Dickinson, ND
alright everyone thanks for the help. Since my last post 1 clown loach has died and 1 tiger barb died. Here are the readings from my test: Ammonia level 0---- Nitrate level 30----Nitrite 0----Hardness 200----Alkalinity 140----ph 8.0 which is tap water here in north dakota. was told not to touch it. So what should i do next?

EDIT: forgot to say i moved temp up from 77 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited:

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
hmmm... are you still having an ich problem?

if so, I'd raise the temp to 80 ( I think that's the temp needed), and go out to the store and get some aquarium salt.

there are directions on the box for disease treatment.

be sure to dissolve the salt in a jug of water before you add it to the tank though.

the salt is like, a buck a box....cheap stuff.

ferderer5

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2005
Dickinson, ND
Yes there is, the tiger barb that died today had ich. i raised the temp to 80 and im gonna go get some aq. salt tonight. Is this all that i need to do and then my fish will start being healthy again or is there something im missing?

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
well, you need to know how the ich parasite lives.

it has a lifecycle.

after it has 'hatched' from your fish's skin, it will swim freely for 3 days. You MUST treat for ich three days AFTER you stop seeing the white spots.

keep your tank darkened too. keep the light off.

also, make sure that you raised the temp GRADUALLY, and that you are adding salt GRADUALLY.

You will want to have 3 tsp of salt per gallon, adding it in increments of 1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours.

hope that helped.