ID.. can't get pic though!

So my power went out last night, and I did a lot of stirring to keep the tank from going stagnant, but it gave me a chance to really see it in the dark, and I found something really wierd. It almost looks like an anemone, but it has little bulbs on the tips of the tentacles. It is clear under light, but from certain angles, has a flourescent green tint to it. I looks like a clear button polyp almost, and it retracted into the sand as soon as my MH's came on this morning. I can't get a picture because it is too clear and small. I don't think it's aptasia. Any ideas?

Oh, and thankfully the power canme back on and everything is doing fine.

None of those resemble it. I'll try to get a pic tonight, but its gonna be tough. Making it worse is that it is in the sand, under an overhang from LR which is only maybe 1 inch off the sand, so its wedged in there. The disk is pretty big though, close to the size of a dime, but it only comes off the sand maybe 1/4 inch, if that much.

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
Possibly if the tentacles tip shape are exactly the same (it could also be something entirely different).

Incidently, I've got a much larger orange-ball corallimorph (entirely different species but same genus as the one's in question which stay small). Fully expanded it has the diameter of an outstretched hand and fully obscures the fist-sized rock its attached to.

I keep it in a solitary set up due to it's highly predatory/territorial nature.

Last edited:
It came out again last night and I got a better look at it. The little bulbs on the tips are more of a tan color than orange, and around the endge of the disk there is a flourescent green color if I hit it with a flashlight. You can't see it at all under moonlights or actinics, only when I shine the flashlight directly on it. And there's defiantely no way I'm getting a picture unless it gets bigger.