ID help please

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
For quite a while now I have had numerous super small "bugs" on the glass.
Their size is about .001 / thousandth of an inch and when seen under a microscope they have the similar shape to an isopod... but these have antennea that look like two feathers or antennea on a moth and looking at either side of the slide @400 magnification they don't seem to have any legs.
I assume they are isopods and they don't seem to cause any harm so i've never worried about them.... fish and all other livestock are healthy and haven't had any deaths for quite a long time.

If anyone has any links to pictures of what they might be, please post.

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
the feathery antennae and no legs sounds to me like it may just be copepods. which are extremely GOOD. do these have any sort of tail, or are they like pillbugs. maybe a paint shop drawing or possible photo would help. copepods have the tail, and isopods don't.

google is my friend. just do a google image search for copepod and see if that's what they look like.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Yes TRe they look like a pillbug with two feathers sticking out....

I have done searches on iso/copepods and on one site they state the sizes and compare them to amphipods which I have many in my fuge and tank...

I have not been able to find anything that comes close to what these look like. To give you an idea of theior size... take a ballpoint pen and make a dot by just tapping it once on some paper... they are that size and no bigger.

The possibility of me getting a picture is slim to none unless I can somehow get the camera to shoot through the eyepeice of the microscope.

I know amphipods and copepods are great and I plan on a mandarin in the future....

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Oh yeah... I have visited melev's site numerous times and has been in my favorites list for a long time also.
I got a little curious after reading the other post about isopods.