I'd like to do this correctly...

VolleyBum

Small Fish
Jan 6, 2006
I've currently got a 55g freshwater aquarium that I'm thinking of converting to a saltwater reef setup in a few months, and I've got a couple questions. I've read the pertinent sticky marine threads already, but I'm concerned about fish and invertebrate selection once the tank is ready to go. Basically I'm hoping you'll throw me a few suggestions about types of fish that would do well in a 55g tank, which seems to be relatively small according to what I've read so far. I'm thinking of starting with the generic but safe "clowns and yellow tangs" configuration, but I'd like to include some kind of anemone and perhaps one other type of fish. I was interested in the Picasso Trigger, but it turns out they're aggressive and aren't reef compatible, so no dice. I was also looking into getting a cleaner shrimp. I guess mainly I'm looking for animals that won't outgrow my tank and that won't give me a huge headache while I'm adjusting to the whole saltwater thing. Thoughts?

VolleyBum

Small Fish
Jan 6, 2006
P.S.

One more thing: what should I do with my canister filter? I was thinking of maybe using it as a pseudo power head because it kicks out a decent current near the surface. Think my Rena canister (rated for 175g tank) plus one other submerged power head would produce adequate current?

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
SW dwarf angels! Most can be kept in a reef if introduced properly. They stay small, don't bother most other fish, are reasonably hardy (most of them) and look awesome. Or one of the fairy wrasses, they're great hardy active little fish. The only invert they bother are bristleworms, and they get along with most any fish so far as I know (definitely the ones you listed). Plus there's a good selection of them, you can get pretty much any color.

I use a canister as a "powerhead" on my SW tank. It keeps a decent flow going, although I think I need an actual powerhead too at some point. You want to run it without media, just for the water movement.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Clowns would be fine, so would a dwarf angel, gobies, blennies, are also interesting...I would be hesitant to put a tang in a 55, people do it...but they really need alot of swimming room, and I prefer to have them in larger tanks. your canister with no media in it would work fine as a power head....you are going to want atleast 10X your tanks turn over in an hour, so you will need more than one other powerhead...I have 25X my tank turn over and it really could be alot more. Reefs are expensive, your going to want alot of live rock, a good protien skimmer, and excellent lighting if you want to keep corals and other inverts. Shrimp are great, I have a herd of cleaners, I also have a pistol shrimp that is paired with my goby...which is cool.

VolleyBum

Small Fish
Jan 6, 2006
P.P.S.

Thanks for the replies! Having very little to do today, I've been reading a ton and, as such, I've got a few more questions....

Everybody's saying that a sump and a protein skimmer are basically indispensable elements of a successful reef tank. (Is this true, by the way?) However, I would like your thoughts on the necessity of chillers and UV sterilizers, as well as appropriate amounts of live rock....bearing in mind the size of my tank (55g). Obviously a UV sterilizer and a chiller wouldn't hurt at all, but do I NEED them and how deficient would a tank my size be without them?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My main tank doesn't have a sump, chiller or UV and seems to do well enough. I would not like to be without a protein skimmer tho' - that , live rock and lighting are the two most significant investments you will make.

I am also very, very keen on dwarf angels, and a fairy wrasse is also a good idea

VolleyBum

Small Fish
Jan 6, 2006
One more thing....

My tank has no overflow. Can I still use a sump? Is there a way around this? The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to lean toward just finding a used acrylic tank with an overflow and just keeping my 55g a FW. Two tanks are better than one, right?? :p

Why do I get the feeling I'll need to buy one of the books everybody's suggesting on other threads......

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You could use an overflow box tho' I think they're a p.i.t.b. - I think getting a drilled tank is a very good idea.

Yes, buy or borrow the rec reading books - my patience is taking a beating right now .......

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
UV sterilizers dont work so well on small tanks, they are great on large systems though....(large as in hundreds of gallons). Where do you live? do you have air conditioning? if you do you most likely wont need a chiller unless it gets extremely hot where you live.