ID Please

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Hi all, it's been a while since I have been around.... busy, busy, busy

Anyways.... I have had a problem pop up rather quickly and I don't know how to combat it... I have had what kinda seems like a bubble algae...

If anyone has any idea what it is and how to get rid of it without killing corals.... pleeeeease let me know.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Thank you SALTYWATERS. Very informative.
After reading about this crud I feel my tank is lost. This stuff has spread everywhere.
The only thing i know of doing is to go and boil all live rock... and basically "nuke" the tank.
I have always done nitrate checks and phosphate checks.... I use RODI that comes out with maybe 10ppm at the most.... and I know I don't overfeed.
My tank was doing awesome with great growth in the star polyps and coraline growth.... maybe i'm just too frustrated and want to give up... but what else is there to do?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've got a green bubble algae problem. I've been taking out rocks, putting them in a bucket of saltwater and scrubbing off the algae. It seems to help.

Unfortunately, nutrient control doesn't really work on this stuff. Manual removal, urchins or a rabbitfish (maybe) are about all that will work.

If you decide you need to break down the tank, you can "cook" your live rock by putting it in covered buckets with saltwater, a thermometer and a powerhead for 6 weeks. It will kill off the algae, but not the bacteria/pods.

Verga

New Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Indiana
Green Bubbles (Sailor's Eyeballs) were a problem for me too.
Emerald Crabs eat them.
The red stuff looks like bubbles covered with Cyanobacteria to me.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would try taking the rock out one by one and removing as much as possible then I would get a couple emerald crabs and a foxface and see if they help eradicate what's left. Then if all that doesn't work I would think of cooking the rock. I wouldn't kiss off on the tank at this time but try anything to get rid of it. I think it will take dilligent work but then again.....what is this but dilligence?