id please

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
got this guy a few weeks back and he was sold under the name fire fin cichlid which I find is most likly false. so a real id on him would be great, thanks everyone.

Attachments

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
fire island cichlid it is lake victorian i had one he jumped out of the tank and was then brought to my pillow by a kitty :(

nice fish male and all colored up :) good buy :)

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
thanks for the info. I plan to get some females and start breeding him. he is still small though and not sure if he has full color or not yet. only an inch and a half long or so right now. but before I try to breed him I need to get rid of the 40 red shoulders I got now

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
nanu, that link is him, and if that pic is not enhanced I got something to look forward too cause that is amazing and mine is not even close to full color by looking at that pic.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah pic looks a tad enhanced to me my experience is that they are the prettiest African I have ever seen though best color by far

females will make him prettier yet. :) Mine was suicidal not sure if that is par for the course or if my was a bit special... had about 2" gap on the back of the tank lid and he managed to jump ship. :(

The males should get you a decent dollar at your LFS for sure, the breeder i know makes you buy a harem so she can off her females too lol.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
the lfs where I got him tell me to bring in only males. they say they don't feel right basicly forcing people to buy 3 fish if all they want is the male, also they sell easier where as my other lfs will take in both male and females. then offer 2 different prices, male only is say $30 for example, but if u get male and 2 females, male is $20 and females are $10 each.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
the plecos and snail wont mind lol eh who needs mollies and danios anyway :)

i should edit this to say my fish pecked two inch apple snails to death in less then a week :( so the snail might mind :(