ID the mystery rainbow! (big pictures)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
So, I have a pair of these very attractive rainbows. They weren't labelled (the dumb Petco worker sold them to me as knife fish :D), but the nearby tank was labelled Maccoluchi (sp?) rainbows. They don't really look like those from what I can tell from online pictures, but I'm not sure what they are... maybe banded rainbows? Anyone know?

And, for anyone who might know, is this a Synodontis euruptus?

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Petco's version of a maccullochi rainbows seem to be australian mutts. I've seen "regular" rainbows sold as 'australian' with M. maccullochi in the species name.

Although the dark red tail and dark stripe seems a bit like a juvie goyder river rainbow perhaps? - Melanotaenia trifasciata - Goyder River Rainbowfish

Cause they definitely don't seem like real maccullochi's to me - Melanotaenia maccullochi

...but I thiiiiink you may have an australian mutt. They can all vary an awful lot. I've got five of them, and while three look as similar as brothers, the other two look like they could both be their own species. God knows what kind of rainbows are mixed in there.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Hmmm... there were about 6-8 of them in the tank that all looked exactly alike, which was what led me to believe they weren't mutts. Oh well, I was charged wrong (twice :D) so they were only $4 instead of $10, and they're pretty-my lonely female praecox rainbow schools with them.

Sep 19, 2006

Melanotaenia Australis common name western rainbowfish (at least that's what I thought when I first saw the pic)

pretty fish, I wish I could find some of those near me :)

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
our petsmart sells those types of rainbows, i beleive they are really called black lined rainbows and stay fairly small, i was looking into getting some but petsmart wanted 12 bucks per fish, so i chose against it, as i would want a school of 4 or more... they are not austrailian mutts though, they are a specific species of rainbow. very nice as adults and very colorful, the black lines become more distinct with age and the orange will darken as they mature.