ID THIS CORAL

May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Today i notices something growing out of one of the unused hermit crab shells so i put it on top of my live rock. I put a blood worm by it and it started to feed it and it took it and started eating it. I have some pics and want to know what it is and why it just showed up in my tank. click on them and open to full page they will get big.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o311/MrClown_2007/P3180080.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o311/MrClown_2007/P3180081.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o311/MrClown_2007/P3180085.jpg

I know there blurry but its the best i could do that close with even a 8 mega pixel camera

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
its an aiptasia anemone. it will reproduce throughout ur tank, so....if u like it, leave it, u'll get plenty more, or not buy some joes juice and squirt it and any other anemones in ur tank. there are more than likely more that are smaller that u didn't notice. y'd u buy a tang. don't u have a 46 gallon?

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
iplaydafoozball said:
its an aiptasia anemone. it will reproduce throughout ur tank, so....if u like it, leave it, u'll get plenty more, or not buy some joes juice and squirt it and any other anemones in ur tank. there are more than likely more that are smaller that u didn't notice. y'd u buy a tang. don't u have a 46 gallon?

i concur *thumbsups

May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
ok I have 2 clownfish and will they use it as a host when it gets bigger?? I don't have any other corals in the tank and won't for a long time because im not ready to buy expensive lights. I would like to keep it and how big will it get??? Yes I did get a really small yellow tang and the store said it would be fine.

OK I just read a lot about them and found that they don't get that big and they are a huge pest in a saltwater tank. I NEED OPIONIONS

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I think the consensus here has been you need to kill it. My recommendation is a product by the name of Joe's Juice. If you use this on it now it will hopefully be gone before it can spread.

What is your plan for the yellow tang in 6 months when it has outgrown the tank?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
aiptasia are not natural hosts for clowns and will in all over run your tank and become a huge pest so the advice is to get rid of it now while you can just toss out that shell it is on. Then get some joe's juice and juice everyone you see from here on out.....You can try peppermint shrimp but make sure they are true peppermints and they MAY eat it.

The yellow tang usually requires a minimum 50g tank and you have a 46, but even that advice isn't really accurate as they grow large and can become very territorial. As a rule a minimum 75g as the footprint allows the tang more linear swimming area.....and the added volume as they are heavy crappers........:) at least mine is. He is also the meanest fish in my tank, and also the biggest. He totally intimidated my foxface......but now they actually tolerate each other....barely...they don't stay small for ever.