ID this

dslr.cow

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Sorry, don't have pictures as this is on the front of the tank and my camera won't focus there.

I saw a little black thing in my tank.
Around 3 mm long, not very wide, shaped like 8>----
When I saw it, it 'swam' down in a a life-like manner into the gravel. I found it again after carefully searching for some time. It's 'head' stuck to a piece of gravel right now and the 'tail' is moving with the current.

Is it a baby danio, or part of a broken fin. Also, anyone have pictures of what danio fry look like?

dslr.cow

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Thanks! That's exactly what it looks like!
I can't find any more though. Maybe they got eaten.
Has the female already laid all her eggs or does she still have some left to give?
She does look a bit plump.

dslr.cow

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
They all got eaten up.
I knew my fishies were upto something acting like bottom feeders.

Hey, at least I found out what baby danios look like. I also managed to observe the catfish-like whiskers that danios have as they were slowing down near the bottom of the tank.

I love danios. I want to get two of every kind. But I can't b/c I have a small tank. :(

dslr.cow

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Well, I guess they spawned again, and I managed to rescue around 20 fry.

Right now, they are housed in a small plastic bowl (with some substrate) that is floating in my aquarium (to keep temp. consitent). I'm doing water changes every day for the bowl. All of them are still alive. What more should I do to keep 'em alive?

dslr.cow

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I saw they do the dirty today.
Funny thing is, I have two males and one female, and both male were in on the fun. They were swimming at a very fast speed and were so taken over by euphoria that they didn't care what they were running into.

dslr.cow

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Their spawning is activated by sunlight, and my tank is close to a window, so my tank gets direct sunlight every day for about an hour. I think they spawn once a week, so I guess I was lucky to catch them on the day of spawing.

My fry from the previous spawning are still alive. I won't bother collecting eggs and fry this time.