ID?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Looks like flowerpot or goniopora.... low success rates for survival

though it could also be alveopora which is somewhat hardier than goniopora

the difference between the two is goniopora has 24 tentacles and alveopora has 12 so your specimen is probably goniopora

Alveopora

Goniopora

Hope this helps!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
on second thoughts on closer examination of your pictures.....the top could be alveopora and the bottom goniopora.....they are not the same specimen are they?

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
thanks lorna that's what i was thinking as well...they don't look like the same species so i think you are right on the identification

thats really unfortunate and i think i am going to try to convince my dad to bring them back! he is so foolish at times with this hobby...he's old and set in doing things his way :mad:

thanks again!

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Well the fish store my dad purchased these corals at do not take back specimens...some fish store... but I do have some new pictures of how they are currently doing. I am actually very impressed by how good the alveopora looks nowadays.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Oh you are lucky. I just hate knowing that I have something with such low success rates as these two corals. Hopefully they will last a while...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think I have read that the low success rate with goniopora is the feeding issue. I have read also that you need to kick up the substrate around them and this puts nutrients into the water column near them....I don't know how much truth there is in that but it's worth a try. The alveopora is supposed to be hardier and easier to care for.