Ideal Otto Food?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I'm trying to find the best manufactured food for my ottos. I've tried zuchinnis and the Hikari green algae wafer but they only nibble at them and dont seem to devour them with any gusto. They eat a little bit and then go back to sucking on the glass and gravel and plants..

I was thinking of getting Aquarian's Algae wafers which are designed specifically for plecos and ottos. However those wafers contain alot of fish meal/protein which herbivores dont really eat.

I also saw some OSI All Veggie wafers which are made only with spirunia(sp?) and veggies but cost more.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? Any recommendations?

thanks

Breeze7050

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
You actually don't even have to boil them - that takes the nutrients out. Just take about an 1" thick slice and sink it - I use the weights that come with plants to sink it. They also sell clips at LFS's that you can clip near the bottom of the tank to keep it down. You can also try lettuce, potatoe, ect.
I also use the all veggie/spirulina (sp) wafers.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I'll try microwaving them with some water for 30 sec. I read that one somewhere..it helps to get the veggie soft and mushy for the ottos.

Breeze- Did you have to train your ottos on those all veggie wafers? I'm curious.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
I have heard that cucumber is not very nutritious as it is only 90% water, try other things like prawn, and other veggies

EDIT: Found a site that says they like : "spinach, zucchini, romaine lettuce, and brussel sprouts"

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Wohoo we finally found a good use for brussel sprouts...lol

I didn't know they would eat those veggies, i will give it a whirl sometime, My ottos seem to thrive on plants keeping leaves clean and cleaning glass and rock, they don't eat much waffers or food but they have grown and are healthy guys for just eating algae off surfaces... as long as they are cleaning they are eating...lol

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Mine won't touch veggies :( I now keep a small tank in the window with a few plants and some rocks and just grow my algae for those times they've not got any in the tank. They are often cleaning the plant leaves, espeically the softer ones that are starting to go.

Grumpy, eat your brussel sprouts. They're good for you! :p