Identify free polyps please?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I was at the lfs the other day, chatting with the same guy as usual and i noticed two little polyps in the sand. I asked about them and he just gave them to me.

I'm not really sure what they are exactly, look like zoo's or some sort of polyp, anyone know? More importantly, think they'll spread fast?

I dont have any specialty lighting right now because i wasn't prepared for any corals yet. all i've got is 4x15w just regular fluorescents on a 10 gallon (6wpg). two of the lights are substantially more blue than the other two yellow ones...but i dont know if that means anythign really. Do i need them for sure? if so, suggested places to buy them (online)?

I live in canada, so a canadian site would be really appreciated.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/DustinKeating/polyp.jpg

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
ahaha, just more? no actinics or certain spectrums....just some bad *** light?

i have like 8 or 9 ballasts kicking around downstairs from some salvaged fluorescent fixtures (the 48" you find in schools and offices)...think i should just add more?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
spectrum does matter, i think the implication was that you might need to buy a new light setup

but, yes you could overdrive the bulbs...that would help some however if you plan to keep corals in the long run you will probably want to look for a better lighting solution anyway

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
well for now i'm not really trying to worry about this tank, because i plan on moving it into a 30 gallon pretty soon (within a month or two). I'll just stick with the ballasts and size lights i have.

But on that note, i am using the ballasts designed for the 48", so i assume these lights are probably overdriven. I have no idea how much though, i've read it's a little less than double?