Idiots at the pet store!

Jul 9, 2006
OK! So I was supposed to go pick up 1 male && 3 female guppies at the pet store, and we dont have a pet store near by [ besides Wal*Mart, and only get fish from there if you want half-dead sickly ones! ] so I had to wait till my mom went to the craft store, and the day she went my horse had an accident so I couldnt go so I had my sister buy the fish for me.. shes only 8 so I told her to tell the person at the pet store I wanted 3 female guppies and one male and this is what I got.. I would like help in deciding what type they are and witch ones will breed together.. Please help!! *thumbsups

Thank You ♥ Amber

I call this one Specks, my best guess is that she/he(?) is a Dalmation Molly and I kinda wanna know if Specks is male or female?

This Little guy's name is Pirate im Guessing he is a Male Black Swordfin, will he breed with Specks if he/she is a female?

And Last but not least Romeo && Juliet, i'm Pretty sure they are male and female Fancy Guppies.. But I could Be wrong..

Im Hoping for Babies!! Oh yea and all of these fish are all in the same tank with

Frank, My African Dwarf Frog

And Lolli, some type of sucker fish ive had for a while

Jul 9, 2006
yahoofishkeeper said:
ooo... those are pretty cool fish. im pretty sure your right about the romeo and juliet pic, and that speckled one kind of looks like a baloon belly molly.

THNX Fish Keeper*BOUNCINGS !!! I love every one of them even if they arent exactly what i wanted! im gonna be SO excited if babies come! *twirlysmi

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Romeo and Juliet are guppies. Specks appears to be a male platy but the picture quality isn't great. And Pirate is a male swordtail. Platies and swords can/will interbreed but the ones you have are the same sex -- they will not interbreed with guppies (different genus)

Jul 9, 2006
Seleya said:
Romeo and Juliet are guppies. Specks appears to be a male platy but the picture quality isn't great. And Pirate is a male swordtail. Platies and swords can/will interbreed but the ones you have are the same sex -- they will not interbreed with guppies (different genus)

:( im really sad now!! i wanted to breed them lol i was hoping specks was a girl!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you want to know more about your fish...all of them are livebearers so you can check out the livebearer forum too. Lotus wrote a great FAQ about them that might answer some of your questions. There's really no need to post more than once about the same topic as people will see your thread no matter which forum you post it in...

Welcome to mft! :)

celticveil

Medium Fish
Oct 8, 2005
OK, after enlarging the top photo, I believe you have a male 'mickey mouse' type platy...the gonopodium is collapsed against the body in swimming motion, you can see it barely visible.

The algae eater is either an otocinclus if under 2 inches, or a chinese algae eater. Hard to tell size and clarity from the pic though. If it is a chinese algae eater, beware, they might get aggressive towards your other fish. If it is an oto, don't worry, too passive for their own good, lol. Can you post a clearer pic for precise identification?