ignorant newbie

May 3, 2006
I have a new tank with fish in it and the ammonia levels have risen some. The thing hasn't established itself yet in a good balance and the water has a whitish cloudy look to it. What is the best way to maintain the fish tank to help save the fish from a terrible end. Should I be cleaning the gravel on the bottom of the tank? How do I clean the gravel? I am already doing water changes but what percentage is the ideal and at what intervals? Thanks alot.

Toddlee

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2006
Swannanoa NC
The cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom, it will go away. Keep up with the water changes to keep the ammonia level down and wait for nitrites to appear. With time they will also go away and nitrates will form. Water changes and plants will take care of the nitrates.
We'll really need some more information to tell you anymore than I already have.
What size tank, number and kind of fish, water test results, filter, anything you can think of about your tank.

I clean the gravel when siphoning the water out during a water change. I do 17% at each change.

Good luck and have patience.

May 3, 2006
:D The local pet store person recommended to use a product that they carry that removes the ammonia. She also said that water changes are bad because they slow down the process of developing the good bacteria so she just recommended to use this stuff to lower the ammonia levels. What do you gyes think about this method. Thank you

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The way that water changes slow the process down is if you do so many that you dont allow any ammonia to be left in the tank...then the bacteria wont colonize. This is why a fish-in cycle takes longer than a fishless cycle...you aren't letting the ammonia and nitrite levels go up as high as it can as fast as it can, because that would be dangerous for your fish.

Welcome to the boards and the hobby Michaela :) You'll learn a lot by just reading around the boards, the stickies that people pointed you to etc. Chances are good that your pet store really doesn't know whats best for your fish and just want to sell you products so I wouldn't listen to them. Adding any type of product to your tank that sounds too good to be true...is most likely a waste of your time and money.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yes water changes slow down the precess. Not by removing the bacteria, but by removing it's food source. Some chemicals like ammo lock do not remove the ammonia, but convert it to a non toxic form that the bacteria can still use as a food source thus not hindering the whole process.

Edit: Jinx Froggy..you owe me a coke. :p

May 3, 2006
That is what it is. It is ammonia lock. If removing the water slows down the process by removing the food source wouldn't removing the food source help matters in the sense that no ammonia will be produced then from the decaying junk found floating in that removed water. That is what I want to do right know right is to get the ammonia out of there of course mayby the ammonia lock alone will do that. To be honest when I first walked in that store with the problem of the cloudy tank they informed me to buy a bigger pump with a cartridge filter on it cause they said it might remove the white cloudy stuff in the water, it didn't though. I think when I walk in they must whisper to each other "hey here comes that sucker":D . What do you think is the best route to take know. Thanks as always.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Michaela521 said:
What do you think is the best route to take know.
You need to read up on what the cycle is. No matter how hard you try you are not going to remove the ammonia on your own...this is what a cycle is. Bacteria (the white stuff in your water) is colonizing on your filter and other surfaces in your tank to turn ammonia into nitrites. So next, you'll see the nitrites go way up in your tank and it'll be the same thing...no matter how hard you try or how many water changes you do...you wont be taking them all out by hand. At that point more bacteria comes in and saves the day! They turn the nitrites into nitrates which you CAN remove by water changes :)

The best route to take right now is to keep up with water changes and monitor your water conditions. Dont worry about the cloudyness...anything you do will most likely make it worse...you need to just be patient and sit it out. If you see your ammonia up too high or your nitrites up too high, you should do a 50% change...otherwise I think I'd probably just do a little change every other day or so...and yes you should vacuum the bottom of the tank while you're doing water changes.

Pure said:
Jinx Froggy..you owe me a coke. :p
Sorry...only have Diet Coke...will that do? ;)

May 3, 2006
I went ahead and got the goods (bio-spira) cause I have spent so much time and money on this thing I want it to work out. Questions are, so I don't make another mistake,

1) Before I add the bio-spira should I set it out in the room to come to room temparature or should I just add it. In my home it is usually around 78 degrees.

2) I have a pump with a carbon filter and cartridge filter attached to it. Should I turn the pump of becuase of the carbon filter. If the answer is yes then for how long.

3) As you have suggested I have been doing water changes inorder to keep the ammonia and nitrate levels down. When I add the bio-spira it might take sometime for the bacteria to build up to handle my tank becuase of the fact it isn't brand new. If I test the tank after adding the bio-spira and also if I have given the bio-spire sometime to work and I find that the water is high in ammonia and nitrate should I go on ahead and perform a water change.

4) Mayby overdosing would help in my situation?

5) Anything else I should.

Thank you.*twirlysmi

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I would follow the directions on the biospira exactly. I wouldn't let it get to room temperature before adding it. If you aren't planning on cycling another tank right now then there's not too much point in keeping an open package of biospira around...overdosing the biospira wont hurt anything. I would do a big water change before you add it...say 50% or more. Then after a couple of days if the ammonia and nitrite levels are back up then do a water change to get them down.

You can't take the carbon OUT of the filter?? I dont know what you mean by 'carbon filter' I guess...but if you can't seperate the carbon out then I would just leave it alone. You have to have the filter turned on...as this is where your bacteria primarily populates.