Ile de la Réunion Isalnd aquarium pics, and more

janlo

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
I usually hang in the freshwater section, but i always loved the sea and know a little bit on this subject and salt water tanks thanx to my friend Kalhuaz.

So I just came back from a short trip to Reunion Island.

Its a verry small island situated near Madagascar and Maurice Islands. Its a french department, so its modern and rich compared to her 2 poor neighboors. Everyone there speaks french and creole, and i never seen such a mixity of races and peoples: blacks, whites, chineses, indians, muslims and french europeans togheter on this small volcanic island of 750 000 people.

Of course i could nt not go to the local aquarium. Its a 100% local ecosystem aquarium, so all of the species are from the island. Unfortunately a lot of my pics are blurry because of the darkness, and i couldnt use flash.

I will also put some other pics of the island, to have a small glimpse of this cool island lost in the middle of nowhere...and to see a little bit of the beaches and the local biotope. i didnt dived, but did some cool snorkeling.
enjoy!

The volcano: the island has been formed by volcanic eruptions. In this pic im at the top of it, above the clouds. Everywhere you can see his influence, incluing in the sea where big volcanic rocks and formations are hosting fishes and corals.

local indian population doing a celebration on the beach

the aquarium:

Lion's tank with a puffer

janlo

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2004
Montreal
Visit site

big fishes tank , including sharks

i actually saw this fish when i was snorkeling

The landscape: volanic rocks going in the sea. The waves were incredibly big and powerful. In fact pretty much of the coast of the island has big waves and verry strong current. a lot of places were forbidden to swim, including some parts of beaches. Reunion has not a reputation of nice and big beaches, youll have to fly to madascar or Maurice for that. But hte volcanic landscape is till interesting.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
WHOW those fishes and pics are excellent, one day when im alot older, i wanna go to one of them places, beautiful pic of the top of the volcano, i bet it was a really good adventure for you !!! lol i must have put that comment on here when you were updating them pics, lol those waves look soo powerful !

janlo

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
In those volcanic rocks you can find some calm spots from natural pools. Inside you can do some snorkeling: the sea life is incredible, a lot of corals ( maily hards, zoo., brains, porites) and cool tropical fishes( tangs, triggers, puffers, octopusses, eels etc)

janlo

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
On the beachs you can find live rock everywhere:

some beaches do not have nice sand, but crushed corals instead:

In this location you can snorle beetween the big volcanic rocks: a lot of the fishes are verry big, but you can see some cool puffers of all colors, and a lot of tangs and triggers.

Thats it!